Very strong knowledge of the law…he takes the time to really know the client and understand our business. He is extremely effective at coming up with arguments and counterarguments.
- Chambers USA 2017-2020
Robert "Bob" S. Turk is a Shareholder in the Firm and the Chair of the Labor & Employment Department. He also serves as a member of the Firm's Board of Directors. He practices in the areas of employment litigation, wage and hour representation, supervisory training, employment audits, equal employment opportunity claims, affirmative action, union avoidance, wrongful discharge, employment and union contracts, trade secrets contracts, non-competition agreements, employment policies, drug-free workplace policies and representation of unionized employers in collective bargaining.
Bob is a past Chair of the Labor & Employment Law Section of The Florida Bar and a past President of the Academy of Florida Management Attorneys. He is actively involved with the South Florida Hospitality Human Resources Association. He also lectures regularly to various legal and business groups.
- Partners with clients on innovative changes to the workplace and restructuring of workforce.
- Defends employers in federal and state court on claims including: race, sex, national origin, disability, religion, pregnancy, and other protected categories.
- Defends employers in federal and state courts on wage and hour claims (individual and “class action”).
- Defends employers in state and federal courts on breach of contract claims, state discrimination claims, whistleblower and workers’ compensation retaliation.
- Defends employers before federal, state and local administrative enforcement agencies on a full range of employment-related claims.
- Drafts handbook and workplace policies, counsels employers regarding policy implementation.
- Regularly trains supervisors and employees on labor and employment laws and harassment-free workplace issues.
- Advises employers on unions corporate campaigns and on obligations under the National Labor Relations Act, and represents employers before the National Labor Relations Board.
- Negotiates collective bargaining agreements on behalf of employers in the hospitality, healthcare and services industries.
- Song-writer: two “employment-related” song parodies (neither of which has made the pop charts).
Professional & Community Involvement
- Academy of Florida Management Attorneys (AFMA), Charter Member,
- The Dave and MaryAlper Jewish Community Center,
- President 2011-2014
- Board of Directors 2003-2010, 2015, 2017-2019
- The Florida Bar, Labor and Employment Law Section, 1978-Present
- Chair, 2013-2014
- Chair-Elect, 2012-2013
- Secretary/Treasurer, 2011-2012
- Legal Education Director 2010 - 2011
- Executive Council, 1987-2001, 2008-2010, 2014-Present
- Certification Committee, 2000-2003
- Co-Chair, Wage and Hour Liaison Committee, 1994-1996
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s Liaison, Chair 1988-1991
- Employment Law Alliance, Founding Member
- American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Committee, 1978-2009, 2016-Present
- Florida International University, Council of 100, 1990-2001
- Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce, Drug and Crime Prevention Legislative Committee, Chair, 1989-1995
- South Florida Hospitality Human Resources Association, 2001-Present
- Coconut Grove Playhouse, Board of Trustees 2000-2006
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2006-2021
- Chambers USA, Band 1, Labor & Employment, 2004-2020
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2020
- Florida Trend's Florida Legal Elite, 2004-2006; 2010; 2020
- Benchmark Litigation, Labor & Employment Star, 2018-2021
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Miami Labor Law - Management Lawyer of the Year, 2015, 2018, 2021
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Corporate Employment Lawyers, 2020
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Miami Litigation - Labor & Employment Lawyer of the Year, 2012, 2016
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Miami Employment Law - Management Lawyer of the Year, 2014
- The College of Labor & Employment Lawyers, Fellow, 2016-Present
- ALM – South Florida’s Top Rated Lawyer, Labor and Employment Law, 2013
- South Florida Legal Guide, "Top Lawyers in Labor and Employment," 2010-2012
- South Florida Legal Guide, "Top Lawyers in South Florida," 2005-2013
- South Florida Business Journal Key Partners Awards, Finalist Labor and Employment, 2008
- South Florida Business Journal, "Heavy Hitter in Human Resources," 2004
- The Florida Bar, Labor and Employment Law Section, Award of Excellence, 1992, 1993 and 2000
- The Florida Bar, Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Labor and Employment Law Section Continuing Legal Education Program, 1992 and 2001
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Publications & Presentations
NLRB Update: Where Do We Stand Now? (Part II)
EEOC’s ADR Mediations – An Effective Remedy for Employment Discrimination Charges Resolutions
U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)|March 2021
The 2021 Florida Legislative Session – The Graveyard for Employment-Related Proposals?
BeLabor the Point Blog|March 2021
COVID-19 Vaccinations Medical and Legal Employer Update
Physicians Health Center Emerging Trends Webinar Series|February 2021
Families First Coronavirus Response Act: We Hardly Knew Ye!
BeLabor the Point Blog|December 2020
Florida’s 2021 Minimum Wage: Will We Have One Or Two Increases?
BeLabor the Point Blog|November 2020
NLRB Update: Where Do We Stand Now (Part 1)
Labor and Employment Law Section CLE Seminar|October 2020
What Do I Need To Know That Doesn't Start With The Word "COVID" In A New Economy
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in 2020 Florida Super Lawyers
24 Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers in 12 Practice Areas Ranked In Chambers USA 2020
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2019
21 Stearns Weaver Miller Attorneys, 10 Practice Areas Ranked in Chambers USA 2019
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2018
23 Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers in 10 Practice Areas Ranked In Chambers USA 2018
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2017
19 Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers, 8 Practice Areas Ranked In Chambers USA 2017