He is a master in terms of negotiating, and he is well liked and respected by all participants, including the governmental funding partners. He sees the big picture and ensures that his client's primary goals are met, and he does not get lost in details which are unimportant.
- Chambers USA 2018
Mr. McDonough is a Shareholder in the Real Estate Department. He is a member of the Firm's Board of Directors as well as its Executive Committee, and he also is the Chairperson of the Firm's Affordable Housing & Tax Credit Practice Group. He represents developers using government loan programs, community housing development organizations and 501(c)(3) organizations using qualified 501(c)(3) bonds for multifamily housing developments. Brian assists clients with matters involving multifamily housing, low income housing tax credits and loan programs implemented by the U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development. Brian also represents lenders in all types of real estate loans and in particular, loans related to affordable housing.
Brian is a frequent lecturer and panelist on current matters affecting affordable housing. In addition, Brian has authored several articles on matters affecting affordable housing.
- Represented large affordable housing developer in connection with the issuance of bonds on the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange.
- Represented Quest Inc. in securing construction financing and tax credit syndication totaling $16.8 million for Quest Village, an affordable apartment community for independent adults with developmental disabilities.
- Representation of several sellers of multiple affordable housing properties, partnership interests and management company affiliates.
- Negotiation and preparation of contracts for properties for new and existing multifamily apartment buildings throughout the State of Florida.
- Negotiation of workouts of tax-exempt bond financed projects involving state and local issuers of bonds.
- Representation of developers in the negotiation of the syndication of federal low income housing tax credits.
- Issued, as an agent for various title companies, title insurance policies on behalf of owners and lenders in excess of $1 billion.
- Assisted affordable housing developer, St. John Community Development Corporation and the CDP Companies, in the closing of the development and financing for St. John Plaza, a 90-unit apartment complex in Overtown, Miami. The project was financed through multiple sources, including bonds issued by the Southeast Overtown/Park West Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA) and the Housing Finance Authority of Miami-Dade County.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Give Kids A Chance, a charitable organization providing scholarships to low income students, Founder and Executive Director
- Acts as legal counsel to the Coalition of Affordable Housing Providers, an organization of developers, lenders, tax credit syndicators, and other professionals involved in the acquisition, financing, and development of affordable housing in the State of Florida
- Camillus House, Board of Directors
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Miami Real Estate Law Lawyer of the Year, 2020
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2003-2021
- Chambers USA, Real Estate (South Florida), 2015-2021
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2019
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Publications & Presentations
Land Development News Update, Publications:
Hillsborough County Studying Comprehensive Plan Updates to Facilitate Affordable Housing
Stearns Weaver Miller News Update|July 2021
Affordable Housing News Update, Publications:
IRS Provides Tax Relief for Low-Income Housing Credit and Bonds for Qualified Rental Projects
Stearns Weaver Miller News Update|July 2020
Land Development News Update, Publications:
Update: IRS Provides Guidance for Big Capital Gains Break
Stearns Weaver Miller News Update|October 2018
Why I Choose To “Give Kids A Chance”
The Miami Foundation |May 2017
The Affordable Housing Credit Program – Current Trends
Royal American Owners Retreat|April 2015
29 Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers in 12 Practice Areas Ranked In Chambers USA 2021
24 Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers in 12 Practice Areas Ranked In Chambers USA 2020
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2019
21 Stearns Weaver Miller Attorneys, 10 Practice Areas Ranked in Chambers USA 2019
Give Kids A Chance Awards 28 Scholarships To Low-Income Students
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2018
23 Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers in 10 Practice Areas Ranked In Chambers USA 2018
Give Kids A Chance Awards 29 Scholarships To Low-Income Students