Carl Eldred has nearly 20 years of experience counseling clients on solid and hazardous waste management and compliance, waste recycling and clean up, alternative fuels, and hazardous substance and pollutant releases. He routinely advises utility, industrial, chemical manufacturing, and developer clients regarding the remediation and redevelopment of large-scale contaminated properties in relation to both groundwater and soil, including the use of risk-based corrective action and brownfield incentives and grant programs.
Carl also represents clients on regulatory and compliance matters at federal, state and local levels, including representation before the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, U.S. Department of Agriculture, U.S. Department of Justice and Florida Department of Environmental Protection. He is highly skilled in defending agency enforcement actions resulting from facility inspections, accidental releases, alleged permit violations, and historic site contamination.
Carl has also worked with Community Development Districts and Special Districts throughout Florida on various issues related to contracts, property transactions, public procurement, ethics and public records.
- Negotiates state and federal corrective action orders and counsels clients on related compliance matters. Examples include the negotiated resolution of a CERCLA enforcement action with the U.S. Department of Agriculture involving low-level radioactive wastes, and the representation of a chemical manufacturing client in an enforcement action brought by the U.S. EPA as part of a national enforcement initiative.
- Represents clients in U.S. EPA Rulemakings, including Coal Combustion Residuals and Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Rules.
- Represents clients in Florida Department of Environmental Protection Rulemakings, including contamination cleanup, solid and hazardous waste management, waste cleanup, management of coal combustions residuals, storage tanks and brownfields.
- Assisted chemical manufacturing client with corporate due diligence for a multi-billion dollar acquisition and sale of assets.
- Represents Florida and regional electric utilities before state and federal regulatory agencies on various solid waste, hazardous waste, and contamination release and remediation matters.
- Represents clients in the defense of state and federal enforcement actions, including litigation and the negotiation of administrative orders on consent and corrective action orders.
- Counsels and assists utility, industry and chemical manufacturing clients on solid and hazardous waste management compliance, including beneficial use and recycling issues and opportunities.
- Routinely counsels clients regarding the remediation and redevelopment of contaminated properties, including the use of risk-based corrective action and brownfield incentives and grant programs.
- Counsels clients on the regulatory obligations associated with the release or discovery of hazardous wastes and substances.
- Represents clients in real estate transactions involving the purchase and sale of contaminated properties or properties undergoing waste cleanup.
Professional & Community Involvement
- The Florida Bar, Environmental and Land Use Law Section (ELULS), 2004-2016
- Chair, 2015-2016
- Children’s Miracle Network, 2007-2017
- Air and Waste Management Association (AWMA), Big Bend Chapter, Director, 2010-2012
- Leadership Tallahassee, Class 28, 2011
- Community Human Service Partnership, 2011
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2023
- The Stephens/Register Award, The Florida Bar, Environmental and Land Use Law Section, 2012
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2010
Publications & Presentations
What is PFAS and Why is Everyone Talking About It?
AIF Florida Water Forum|December 2022
Remediation Strategies & Case Studies
36th Annual Environmental Permitting Summer School|July 2022
Land Development News Update, Publications:
Property Due Diligence and the Consideration of PFAS
Stearns Weaver Millers News Update|November 2021
What's New in Waste and Waste Cleanup - a Regulatory Update
Air & Waste Management Association Coastal Plains Chapter Meeting|November 2021
Government Affairs News Update, Land Development News Update, Publications:
What's Developing | Fall 2021
Stearns Weaver Miller News Update|September 2021
Remediation Strategies and Case Studies
Florida Chamber's Annual Environmental Permitting Summer School, July 2019-2021|September 2021
Coal Combustion Residuals Rule – Public Meetings
Florida Air & Waste Management Association Annual Conference|November 2020
Lifecycle of a Real Estate Transaction – Environmental Due Diligence
Florida State University School of Law|January 2020
Stearns Weaver Miller Expands Tallahassee Office Space and Offered Services
Carl Eldred Joins Stearns Weaver Miller’s Statewide Land Development, Zoning & Environmental Practice