Ryan Thornton is a Shareholder in the Litigation Department. His practice focuses on complex litigation matters at the trial and appellate levels in both state and federal court. Ryan’s experience includes representing public and private companies in a variety of contract and business tort disputes, as well as class action litigation.
Ryan clerked for The Honorable Federico A. Moreno of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida. Prior to joining the Firm, Ryan was a law clerk for the New York office of an international firm, and an intern for The Honorable Cecilia M. Altonaga of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida. During law school, Ryan interned for the United States Department of Justice in its Criminal Division's Fraud Section.
Ryan earned his J.D., cum laude, from Georgetown University Law Center and his B.A., magna cum laude, from Duke University.
- Represented Class consisting of 179 real estate investors, resulting in a $100 million settlement. The settlement resolved claims that one of the largest commercial real estate firms in the world, and one of its employees, concealed and failed to alert our clients to an on-going multi-million dollar embezzlement scheme.
- Represented Robinhood Markets and affiliates as Florida counsel in putative consumer class action based on an alleged failure to prevent customers from placing trades for securities subject to a trading halt. The district court denied class certification.
- Represented Robinhood Markets and affiliates as Florida counsel in putative securities class action based on an alleged breach of a broker’s duty of best execution, successfully obtaining transfer of the action to the Northern District of California.
- Represented All Aboard Florida (now Brightline) entities in miscellaneous state and federal actions asserting administrative and regulatory claims. These proceedings have been resolved favorably through litigation or agreement.
- Represented food subscription service and real estate brokerage in defense of putative class actions brought under the recently-enacted Florida’s Telephone Solicitation Act. Each case settled on favorable terms.
- Represented start-up company in enforcement of restrictive covenants against former partner, resulting in favorable business divorce.
- Represented owner of car dealership in action seeking judicial dissolution under the Florida Revised Florida LLC Act and alleging breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duties against co-owners, resulting in settlement on favorable terms for the client.
- Represented regional bank in civil suits in federal and state court arising from bank’s alleged involvement in Ponzi scheme. Each case ultimately settled upon favorable terms for the client.
- Represented global distributor of petroleum coke in litigation involving scheme to defraud the company, which settled before trial after defendant’s counterclaims were dismissed.
- Part of trial team in three-week product liability jury trial for damages arising out of alleged defects in drywall manufactured in China, resulting in favorable verdict with nominal damages against client.
- Represented private high school in disciplinary proceedings before the Florida High School Athletic Association.
- Represented sports tournament organizer in lawsuits involving contractual and constitutional claims.
- Represented regional banks in shareholder derivative suits and other litigation involving contract and business torts claims.
- Represented mortgage asset investor and servicer in litigation involving contractual and equitable claims.
- Pro bono representation of immigrant youth in special immigrant juvenile visa and temporary custody proceedings.
- Pro bono representation of nursing school student for reentry into nursing program after improper dismissal.
- Law Clerk, Honorable Federico A. Moreno, Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- Judicial Intern, Honorable Cecilia M. Altonaga, United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
Professional & Community Involvement
- Federal Bar Association, South Florida Chapter
- Dade Legal Aid, Put Something Back Pro Bono Volunteer
- Cuban American Bar Association (CABA), Pro Bono Volunteer
- Dade County Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section
- American Bar Association
- Best Lawyers: Ones To Watch, 2021-Present
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, 40 under 40 Outstanding Lawyers, South Florida, 2018
In the Media:
Cuban American Bar Association Celebrates Hispanic Women Judges
The Florida Bar|August 2023
In the Media:
CABA Pro Bono Legal Services Recognizes Stearns Weaver Miller Legal Professionals: Ryan Thornton, Esq., Veronica de Zayas, Esq., Carmen Veguilla, Vivian Alfonso, and Carolina Oquendo for Their Continuous Volunteer Work
CABA Pro Bono Legal Services: Newsletter|September 2020
Stearns Weaver Miller Names Five New Shareholders
Giselle Gutierrez and Ryan Thornton Named Among 40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers of South Florida by Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
In the Media:
CBRE To Pay $100M To End Class Action By Realty Investors
In the Media:
Cabot Investors Win Class Cert. In $157M Fraud Suit