Shawn Halphen serves as an in-house Geographic Information System (GIS) Analyst for the Firm. He supports all practice areas through comprehensive GIS analysis, data modeling, high-quality map exhibits, data conversion and manipulation, research/forensic mapping, and web mapping.
Shawn is skilled in a wide range of GIS and spatial analysis software programs, as well as updating and maintaining multi-user enterprise geodatabases, publishing services for use in web mapping applications, and cartography.
Prior to joining the firm, Shawn held various roles, including GIS Team Lead, for the Northwest Florida Water Management District (NWFWMD), one of five water management districts that is charged with managing the water resources of the Florida Panhandle. His time at the NWFWMD provides him with unique insight and substantive knowledge of environmental issues and policies.
Other Industry Experience
- At the Northwest Florida Water Management District (NWFWMD), Shawn served as a liaison between the GIS Team and each Division of the NWFWMD. Shawn was tasked with employing GIS solutions across the organization that would help increase staff efficiency and improve data accountability. Shawn developed and maintained a multi-user land management database consisting of over 40 feature types and thousands of physical assets maintained on NWFWMD lands. Shawn also was responsible for development of a project management GIS database for tracking and monitoring project progress and budgets, and developed operations dashboards for communicating progress and budgets with NWFWMD management.
- While employed at the Northwest Florida Water Management District (NWFWMD), Shawn worked with Hydrologic and Hydraulic models and their GIS outputs to identify homes and buildings with increased risk of riverine flooding as a result of in-channel and floodplain debris resulting from Hurricane Michael. Shawn’s work helped the NWFWMD prioritize river and stream segments for debris removal.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Seven Hills Regional GIS User Group, 2021-Present
- Association of State Floodplain Managers (ASFPM), Member, 2016-2020
- Florida Association of Environmental Professionals, Tampa Bay, 2015-2016
Stearns Weaver Miller's In-House Geographic Information System (GIS) Capabilities Enhanced with New Analyst