She's extremely knowledgeable and certainly a go-to person in terms of her knowledge of ERISA and employee benefits.
- Chambers USA 2018
Sharon Quinn Dixon is a Shareholder in both the Tax Department and Labor & Employment Department. Sharon's practice focuses on employee benefits for businesses and estate planning for individuals.
Sharon advises business clients about their employee benefit plans and executive compensation, including 401(k) plans, COBRA issues, Section 125-Cafeteria Plans, Code Section 409A issues for all forms of deferred compensation, equity-based plans for employees, Affordable Care Act issues, other medical and insurance plan questions, and tax and ERISA compliance and litigation matters involving benefit plans. Additionally, Sharon is experienced with merger and acquisition due diligence reviews, planning for employee benefits in implementing Family Leave Act policies and stock option and stock appreciation rights plans.
Sharon counsels individual clients in the development and implementation of their estate plans, including federal estate, gift and income tax issues. Sharon represents corporate and individual fiduciaries in connection with the administration of estates and personal trusts. Sharon has particular expertise in estate planning for retirement benefits.
Sharon also counsels individuals and organizations about the formation and operation of tax exempt organizations, including with respect to obtaining and maintaining their tax status with the Internal Revenue Service.
Sharon is a regular contributor to the firm’s labor and employment law blog, BeLabor the Point.
- Correction of 401(k)and retirement plan compliance deficiencies and submission for IRS approval.
- Review and redesign of numerous deferred compensation arrangements for compliance with Internal Revenue Code Section 409A.
- Representation of employer-plan sponsors in audits of IRS and U.S. Department of Labor.
- Representation of tax-exempt employers in connection with 403(b) and retirement plans (qualified and nonqualified) and health and welfare plans
- Successful defense of IRS challenges to estate tax valuation.
- Drafting personal trusts and planning for family business succession.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Fellow, American College of Employee Benefits Counsel
- American Bar Association, Tax Section, Employee Benefits Committee, Member
- The Florida Bar Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section, Member
- Children’s Home Society, Southeastern Division, Chair of the Board
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business: Ranked #1 in Tax, 2005-2018
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2018
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Miami Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law Lawyer of the Year, 2012, 2016, 2019
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 1993-2018
- Florida Trend's Florida Legal Elite, 2016
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyers in South Florida - Labor & Employment, 2008-2018
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Publications & Presentations
Dave & Buster’s Settlement – Busted! But Not So Fast….
BeLabor the Point Blog|January 2019
Hype vs. Reality: The Effect of Recent Guidance on Your Employee Benefit Plans
Greater Miami Society for Human Resource Management|November 2018
Covering Summer Interns Under Your Employee Benefit Plans – You Can’t Just Forget About Them
BeLabor The Point Blog|June 2018
Another ERISA Fiduciary Duty? Protecting Your Benefit Plan's Confidential Information
Stearns Weaver Miller's 28th Annual Labor and Employment Law Seminar|April 2018
Publications, Recent News Updates:
Retirement Plan Hurricane Relief for Affected Participants
Stearns Weaver Miller News Update|November 2017
The DOL Fiduciary Rule and Other Developments
Executive Compensation and Partnership Awards
Greater Miami Tax Institute|August 2017
Finding the Well in Wellness Programs
Stearns Weaver Miller's 27th Annual Labor and Employment Law Seminar|May 2017
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2018
23 Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers in 10 Practice Areas Ranked In Chambers USA 2018
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2017
19 Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers, 8 Practice Areas Ranked In Chambers USA 2017
Sharon Quinn Dixon Elected Chair of Children’s Home Society of Florida Board of Directors, Southeastern Division
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2016
17 Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers, 7 Practice Areas Ranked In Chambers USA 2016
Stearns Weaver Miller Presents 26th Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar