Superb attorney [who is] extremely knowledgeable and works to find a solution for all parties.
- Chambers USA 2020
Sharon Quinn Dixon is a Shareholder in both the Tax Department and Labor & Employment Department. Sharon's practice focuses on employee benefits for businesses and estate planning for individuals.
Sharon advises business clients about their employee benefit plans and executive compensation, including 401(k) plans, COBRA issues, Section 125-Cafeteria Plans, Code Section 409A issues for all forms of deferred compensation, equity-based plans for employees, Affordable Care Act issues, other medical and insurance plan questions, and tax and ERISA compliance and litigation matters involving benefit plans. Additionally, Sharon is experienced with merger and acquisition due diligence reviews, planning for employee benefits in implementing Family Leave Act policies and stock option and stock appreciation rights plans.
Sharon counsels individual clients in the development and implementation of their estate plans, including federal estate, gift and income tax issues. Sharon represents corporate and individual fiduciaries in connection with the administration of estates and personal trusts. Sharon has particular expertise in estate planning for retirement benefits.
Sharon also counsels individuals and organizations about the formation and operation of tax exempt organizations, including with respect to obtaining and maintaining their tax status with the Internal Revenue Service.
Sharon is a regular contributor to the firm’s labor and employment law blog, BeLabor the Point.
- Correction of 401(k)and retirement plan compliance deficiencies and submission for IRS approval.
- Review and redesign of numerous deferred compensation arrangements for compliance with Internal Revenue Code Section 409A.
- Representation of employer-plan sponsors in audits of IRS and U.S. Department of Labor.
- Representation of tax-exempt employers in connection with 403(b) and retirement plans (qualified and nonqualified) and health and welfare plans
- Successful defense of IRS challenges to estate tax valuation.
- Drafting personal trusts and planning for family business succession.
Professional & Community Involvement
- South Florida Trail Riders, Board of Directors, 2020-Present
- Estate Planning Council of Greater Miami, Inc., Board of Directors, 2012-Present
- American College of Employee Benefits Counsel, Fellow, Present
- American Bar Association, Tax Section, Employee Benefits Committee, Present
- The Florida Bar Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section, Present
- Children’s Home Society, Southeastern Division, 2009-2020
- Chair of the Board, 2017-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Miami Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law Lawyer of the Year, 2012, 2016, 2019, 2020-2021
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 1993-2018, 2020
- Chambers USA, Band 1, Tax, 2005-2019; Band 1, Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation, 2020
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2020
- Florida Trend's Florida Legal Elite, 2016
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyers in South Florida - Labor & Employment, 2008-2020
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Publications & Presentations
WEBINAR: COBRA Conundrum - Changes to COBRA Under the American Rescue Plan Act
Stearns Weaver Miller Webinar|April 2021
State tax withholding and other obligations for remote workers. What you don’t know CAN hurt you. (PART 1)
BeLabor the Point Blog|March 2021
Estate Planning For Expats
Employers unsure about benefits for furloughed workers
Southeast Employment Law Letter|December 2020
Six Months of Benefits on Furlough – Now What?
BeLabor the Point Blog|September 2020
Back to Work or No More Work? - Employee Benefits Issues
Top Takeaways from Our Back to Work Virtual Chat
BeLabor the Point Blog|June 2020
Back to Work Virtual Chat
Stearns Weaver Miller Webinar|June 2020
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in 2020 Florida Super Lawyers
24 Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers in 12 Practice Areas Ranked In Chambers USA 2020
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2019
21 Stearns Weaver Miller Attorneys, 10 Practice Areas Ranked in Chambers USA 2019
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2018
23 Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers in 10 Practice Areas Ranked In Chambers USA 2018
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2017
19 Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers, 8 Practice Areas Ranked In Chambers USA 2017