Erin Tilton represents private and public sector clients before local, regional, and state agencies, courts, and elected bodies on environmental, real estate development, and land use matters. She has experience advising clients on a wide-range of complex land use permitting and entitlement issues, including comprehensive plans and amendments, rezonings, variances, concurrency and development agreements, Development of Regional Impact (DRI) review and rescission, and other related aspects of securing development authorization. She is skilled in developing and implementing litigation strategy as it relates to obtaining, challenging, and defending development approvals.
In addition to her land development practice, Erin also maintains a broad litigation practice where she represents clients in administrative, circuit court, and appellate litigation on a variety of matters, including complex business, real estate, contract, and private property rights disputes. She also has extensive experience litigating issues under Florida’s Public Records Act on behalf of both private and public sector clients.
- Represented large landowner seeking to recover $298 million under the Bert J. Harris, Jr. Private Property Rights Protection Act in a case involving multiple issues of first impression.
- Assisted electric utility in amending local comprehensive plan and land development code provisions to allow for the establishment of solar generation facilities in agricultural areas.
- Served as counsel to mortgage holder in $150 million multi-family residential foreclosure action in federal court involving several construction liens and hundreds of unit purchasers.
- Obtained judgment for community development district allowing issuance of $19 million in municipal bonds after contested validation hearing
- Negotiated complex settlement agreement on behalf of state agency resolving $60 million in potential liability over failed public-private partnership.
- Obtained judgment after evidentiary hearing against local government for public record violations, recovering $75K in attorney’s fees and costs.
- Served as in-house counsel to a large investor-owned electric utility on matters before the Florida Public Service Commission.
- Judicial Intern, Honorable Elizabeth A. Kovachevich and Anthony E. Porcelli, United States District Court District Court for the Middle District of Florida
Professional & Community Involvement
- Florida Manufactured Housing Association (FMHA), 2021
- Urban Land Institute (ULI), Member, Present
- Stetson Lawyers Alumni Association Advisory Council, 2020-Present
- Tallahassee Bar Association, 2013-Present
- President-Elect, 2022-Present
- Treasurer, 2021-2022
- Board of Directors, 2018-Present
- Diversity and Inclusion Committee, Chair, 2019-Present
- Marketing Committee, Chair, 2021-Present
- Tallahassee Bar Bulletin, Co-Editor, 2021-Present
- Young Lawyer Section Board of Directors, 2014-2019; President, 2017-2018
- The Florida Bar, Real Property, Probate & Trust Law Section (RPPTL), Development and Land Use Planning Committee, 2014-Present
- Leon County Teen Court, Volunteer Judge, 2013-Present
- American Bar Association, Managing Editor, Administrative & Regulatory Law News, 2018-2021
- Best Lawyers in America, Ones to Watch, 2021
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2017-2021
- Florida Trend's Florida Legal Elite, Up & Comers, 2021
- Tallahassee Bar Association, Thomas M. Ervin, Jr. Distinguished Young Lawyer Award, 2018
- Tallahassee Woman Magazine, Women to Watch, 2018
- The Florida Bar, Environmental and Land Use Law Section, Dean Frank E. Maloney Memorial Writing Contest winner, 2013
- Stetson University College of Law, Hearne Environmental Law Award, 2013
Publications & Presentations
Best Practices in Planned Communities Design, Implementation & Financing
Stearns Weaver Miller/Kutak Rock Webinar|June 2022
Best Practices and Update on Land Use Litigation
2022 Land Use Seminar|May 2022
From Paper to Silver: Case Law Update
Administrative Law Section of the Florida Bar’s Pat Dore Conference|October 2021
Government & Administrative News Update, Land Development News Update, Publications:
City of Tallahassee Proposes “Glitch” Revisions to Land Development Code
Stearns Weaver Miller News Update|September 2021
Government Affairs News Update, Land Development News Update, Publications:
What's Developing | Fall 2021
Stearns Weaver Miller News Update|September 2021
Litigation in a Post-COVID World
American Planning Association Florida Chapter Annual Conference|September 2021
The Legal Basis of Planning
Florida State University, Department of Urban and Regional Planning|August 2021
Strategies for Winning (and Defending) Land Use Approvals
The Florida Bar, Real Property, Probate & Trust Law Section|August 2021
Stearns Weaver Miller Expands Tallahassee Office Space and Offered Services
In the Media:
Fall 2021 TBA Member News
Fall Edition of the Tallahassee Bar Association's Bar Bulletin|October 2021
Carl Eldred Joins Stearns Weaver Miller’s Statewide Land Development, Zoning & Environmental Practice
Stearns Weaver Miller Expands Statewide Land Development, Zoning & Environmental Practice with Five New Additions