Darrin Quam is a Shareholder in the Litigation Department. Darrin has a broad civil litigation practice at the trial and appellate levels of state and federal courts, as well as in administrative forums. His practice focuses on contract litigation, land use and real estate litigation, property rights, takings, lender liability, banking litigation, business torts and creditor’s rights. Darrin also counsels homeowners associations and condominium associations throughout Florida.
Prior to joining the Firm, Darrin served as a law clerk to the Honorable Anne E. Thompson, Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, and was an associate at an international law firm.
- Successfully defended developer in federal court against multinational corporation seeking to enjoin residential waterfront development project. After Darrin obtained the denial of plaintiff’s motion for temporary injunction and briefed the matter before the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals, the plaintiff dismissed its complaint and appeal with prejudice, and recorded a consent to residential development in the public records.
- Successfully tried and secured complete defense judgment for landowners in multi-party land use/easement case in state circuit court.
- Successfully tried and secured complete defense judgment in favor of national bank, including the payment of client’s attorneys’ fees by the plaintiff, in federal case of first impression regarding employee credit card fraud.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of false advertising complaint against international retailer. Affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained mandatory injunction on behalf of state bank requiring credit card service provider to continue performing underlying contracts.
- Successfully represented landowners in multiple Bert J. Harris Private Property Rights Protection Act and property rights cases against local governments.
- Obtained dismissal of commercial tenant’s complaint against lessor and the tenant’s payment of client’s attorneys’ fees.
- Obtained final summary judgment victory on behalf of developer in which state circuit court declared client’s right to complete commercial development.
- Obtained injunction on behalf of homeowners association enforcing restrictive covenants regarding development of real property.
- Successfully represented national fuel/convenience store retailer in protecting development entitlements, signage and property rights.
- Successfully prosecuted petition for certiorari on behalf of property owners against local government to obtain approval of environmental cluster subdivision.
- Successfully defended residents’ state court certiorari petition and declaratory judgment action seeking to void the vacation of a public right of way.
- Successful representation of property owners and developers at land use, zoning and other public hearings.
- Successful representation of cell tower providers in proceedings against local governments.
- Successfully represented group of homeowners to prevent surface water flooding from neighboring subdivision.
- Successfully represented big box office retailer in enforcement of land use restrictions in shopping center.
- Successfully represented court-appointed receiver in litigation to preserve parking entitlements.
- Successfully represented buyer enforcing agreement to sell real property.
- Successful defense of bank against claims arising from electronic funds transfers and alleged investment scheme, which was affirmed on appeal.
- Successful defense of national hotel chain in proposed state and federal class actions to recover sales tax from sellers of bottled water.
- Successfully represented shareholders in voting deadlock, business dissolution and valuation of shares dispute.
- Tried and obtained final judgment for payment of real estate commission in favor of broker.
- Obtained dismissal of county’s state court complaint seeking to void public service contracts between client and several Florida cities.
- Successfully represented joint venturer at trial and appeal in real estate dispute.
- Successfully represented big box office retailer in multimillion dollar dispute with vendor.
- Successfully represented aviation parts manufacturer in American Arbitration Association (AAA) breach of contract arbitration.
- Successful representation of homeowners’ associations in restrictive covenant cases.
- Successful representation of employers in non-compete cases.
- Representation of lenders in commercial foreclosure and lender liability actions and appeals, and counseling of lenders and compliance with state and federal laws.
- Successful defense of Fair Debt Collection Practices Act claims.
- Counsel clients regarding the Bert J. Harris Property Protection Act and other litigation, appellate and certiorari remedies to protect property rights throughout Florida.
- Counsel clients regarding title to submerged lands and riparian rights.
- Counsel owners of tracts of land regarding preservation of property rights, natural resource extraction and mining.
- Counsel clients regarding historic preservation designations.
- Counsel clients regarding identification and preservation of water rights and uses.
- Counsel clients regarding drone regulation.
- Law Clerk, Honorable Anne E. Thompson, Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
Professional & Community Involvement
- MacDonald Training Center
- Board of Directors, 2004-Present
- Executive Committee, 2006-Present
- Vice-Chair, 2014-Present
- Chair, 2011-2013
- Hillsborough House of Hope
- Board of Directors, 2002-Present
- Leadership Tampa
- The Florida Bar Young Lawyers Division Board of Governors, Officer, 2001–2002
- Georgetown University Law Center, Alumni Admissions Interview Committee, 2014-Present
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Publications & Presentations
Bert Harris Act Litigation/Mediation and Koontz Exaction Cases
CLE International Eminent Domain Conference|November 2019
Harris Act Recoveries
CLE International Eminent Domain Conference|November 2018
Land Development News Update, Publications:
Florida Appellate Court Reverses Developer's $16.5 Million Award and Rules in Favor of County
Stearns Weaver Miller News Update|December 2017
Land Development News Update, Publications:
Landowners with Contiguous Parcels Should Heed Recent U.S. Supreme Court Decision
Stearns Weaver Miller News Update |July 2017