Stephanie Turk is a Shareholder in the Labor & Employment Department. She has experience in both Employment Litigation and Employment Counseling.
On the litigation side, Stephanie defends employers against various claims including discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wage and hour, whistleblower, and family, medical, and military leave. She represents clients in federal and state courts, nationwide arbitrations, and before administrative agencies including the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), Department of Labor (DOL), Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), and Florida Commission on Human Relations (FCHR).
On the counseling side, Stephanie advises employers on union avoidance strategies and election campaigns, the formation and dissolution of employment relationships, including the negotiation of employment, separation and release, independent contractor, and non-compete agreements, and other day-to-day employment issues. Stephanie also conducts internal investigations and audits, and drafts personnel policies and employee handbooks.
- Assisted in obtaining jury verdict in federal court for commercial real estate management company on age discrimination claim, which was affirmed by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
- Assisted in obtaining partial summary judgment in federal court on behalf of commercial real estate management company on age discrimination claim.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of credit card processing companies for account stated claim (related to commissions), and subsequently obtained favorable settlement for client for remainder of employment and contract claims.
- Assisted in obtaining temporary restraining order for engineering consulting company against former employee, which was affirmed by Florida’s Fourth District Court of Appeal.
- Obtained dismissal of race and national origin discrimination and retaliation claims asserted against hospital physician.
- Obtained favorable settlements for clients, resulting in the dismissal of various claims under Title VII, the Florida Civil Rights Act, the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act.
- Experience includes labor and employment defense, and contract and business disputes.
- Law Clerk and Judicial Intern, Honorable Anthony E. Porcelli, United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
Professional & Community Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Dade County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association, South Florida Chapter, 2017-Present
- President, 2023-2024
- President-Elect, 2022-2023
- Treasurer, 2021-2022
- Secretary, 2020-2021
- Annual Meeting and Task Force Committee Member, 2019-2021
- Board of Directors, 2017-Present
- Civics and Community Outreach and Law Day Committee Chair, 2017-Present
- Civics Liaison, 2017-Present
- Women's Initiative Group/Wish Society
- Federal Bar Association South Florida Chapter Award in recognition of Outstanding Service to the Civil Discourse and Difficult Decisions Program, 2022
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2023-Present
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, 2022
- Florida Trend’s Legal Elite, Up & Comer, 2022
- William F. Blews Pro Bono Service Award
- National Order of the Scribes Award for Outstanding Legal Writing
- Eleventh Circuit Bankruptcy Competition, Champion
- Honorable Conrad B. Duberstein Bankruptcy Moot Court Competition, Semi-Finalist
- Phi Delta Phi International Legal Honor Fraternity
- Highest Grade Award for Research and Writing I, Professional Responsibility (shared), Constitutional Law I, Pre-Trial Practice (shared)
Publications & Presentations
Big Law v. Small Law
FBA South Florida Chapter|July 2023
Big Law v. Small Law, A Panel Discussion
FBA South Florida Chapter|July 2023
TikTok Time Bombs/Social Media and Mandatory Training And Florida's Stop W.O.K.E Act
Stearns Weaver Miller's 2022 Annual Miami Labor & Employment Law Seminar|October 2022
Florida Bench & Bar Conference|February 2022
President Biden: Mandatory vaccines or weekly testing, or bust!
BeLabor the Point Blog |September 2021
Events, Firm Announcements, In the Media, Labor & Employment News Update, Publications:
Breaking Through the Noise: Labor & Employment Issues Post-Pandemic
Stearns Weaver Miller News Program Special|June 2021
All In A Day’s Work – Correctly Paying Employees Who Are Working From Home
BeLabor the Point Blog|March 2021
Two Turks are better than one!
BeLabor the Point Blog|October 2019
Stephanie Turk Elected President of the South Florida Chapter of the Federal Bar Association
In the Media:
Legal Services of Greater Miami Hosts 14th Annual Heart of Giving Celebration
Attorney at Law Magazine|May 2023
Federal Bar Association South Florida Chapter Conducts Civil Discourse and Difficult Decisions (“CD3”) Program With Help from Stearns Weaver Miller Shareholder Stephanie Turk
Stephanie Turk Elected President-Elect of the South Florida Chapter of the Federal Bar Association
Stephanie Turk Elected Treasurer of the South Florida Chapter of the Federal Bar Association
Stearns Weaver Miller Names Five New Shareholders