Darrell Payne is a Shareholder in the Litigation Department and a member of the Firm’s Board of Directors. His practice covers a wide range of complex commercial litigation and business torts. He regularly represents clients in contract disputes, intellectual property litigation & lawsuits involving banking, real estate and construction. Darrell also has experience with tax assessment challenges, eminent domain and land use claims, cargo loss claims, distributorship issues, and accounting negligence. He handles all phases of litigation in state and federal courts throughout Florida, including mediation, arbitration and appeals. Darrell served as a law clerk to United States District Judge Kenneth L. Ryskamp, in the District Court for the Southern District of Florida, from 1988-1989.
Darrell has been a leader of professional and community organizations, including Legal Services of Greater Miami, which provides free civil legal services for the economically disadvantaged. He is passionate about expanding pro bono opportunities and has made many presentations on lawyer professionalism for The Florida Bar and The Dade County Bar.
- Secured $2.4 million non-jury verdict in trademark/distributorship dispute involving organic food manufacturer.
- Successfully challenged land-use/zoning change for multi-million dollar condominium project near national historic landmark.
- Obtained $1.7 million non-jury verdict in a partnership buyout dispute.
- Successfully litigated complex commercial and multi-unit residential development foreclosures for lenders and loan-holders, including bankruptcy and workout issues.
- Successfully prosecuted corporate valuation/appraisal rights proceeding involving master-planned communities and other significant real estate assets.
- Successfully litigated trade secret theft / employee non-compete dispute involving international distillery / alcoholic beverage company.
- Successfully challenged tax assessments in administrative proceedings and circuit court lawsuits for a range of commercial properties and businesses, including a major shopping mall, a high-rise rental development, an apartment complex, gaming facilities, and funeral homes/cemeteries.
- Defended multi-million dollar business tort jury trial involving international commodities trading.
- Defended chemical company in multi-million dollar jury trial involving alleged damage to aquaculture concern in Ecuador.
- Successfully handled distributorship litigation for various companies, including international chemical company, international electronics company and Latin American distributor of medical products.
- Represented international fast-service food franchisor in trademark/trade dress/franchisee litigation.
- Successfully represented pro bono client in quit claim action, recovering clear title and allowing client to remain in his home of more than 30 years.
- Law Clerk, Honorable Kenneth L. Ryskamp, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
Professional & Community Involvement
- The Florida Bar: Rules of Judicial Administration Committee, Standing Committee on Professionalism, Eminent Domain Committee, Young Lawyers Division - Board of Governors
- Dade County Bar Association: Board of Directors, Professionalism Committee, Federal Courts Committee, Schools Committee
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Legal Services of Greater Miami, Inc., Board President, Board Treasurer, Executive Committee, Campaign Committee, Audit & Finance Committee
- WLRN Public Television and Radio, Community Advisory Board Chair
- University of Florida College of Law: Alumni Council, Law & Technology Conference Steering Committee
- Coral Gables War Memorial Youth Center Association, Inc.,
- Miami Pro Bono Round Table
- United Way of Miami-Dade, Community Investment Committee; Co-Chair, Education II Impact Council
- DFYIT – Drug Free Youth in Town
- South Dade Family YMCA, Adventure Guides Program Volunteer
- Coral Reef Yacht Club, Youth Sailing Committee, Audit & Finance Committee
- Dade County Children First Program, Guardian Ad Litem Attorney
- Florida Law Related Education Association, Inc., Florida High School Mock Trial Program, Advisory Committee
- Cities in Schools/Corporate Academy, Mentor
- Big Brothers Big Sisters, Bigs at Work
- Florida Baptist Children’s Home, Big Brother
- Volunteer Youth Sports Coach, various sports
- The Education Fund, Teacher Champion/Volunteer
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2018
- Florida Trend's Florida Legal Elite, 2016
- The Education Fund, The Sapoznik Insurance Public School Alumni Achievement Award, 2017
- Legal Services of Greater Miami, 50 Voices Honoree, 2015
- ALM/Law.com South Florida’s Top Rated Lawyers, 2012
- Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition, Business Litigation, 2010
- Miami Metro Magazine Legal Guide, Top Lawyer, 2001
- South Florida Legal Guide - “Top Lawyers in South Florida,” 2006-2007
- President's Distinguished Leadership Recognition – Pro Bono, Dade County Bar Association, March 2017
- Put Something Back Joint Pro Bono Project of the Eleventh Judicial Circuit, Pro Bono Award, 1992, 1994, 1999, 2002
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Publications & Presentations
Publications, Recent News Updates:
Should You Challenge Your Property Tax Assessment?
Stearns Weaver Miller News Update |August 2017
Miami Pro Bono Roundtable's Pro Bono Fair and Poverty Simulation
Miami-Dade College Wolfson Campus|March 2016
Environmental Concerns in Florida Eminent Domain Practice and Procedure
The Florida Bar (5th ed. 1996; Supp. 2000; 6th ed. 2004; 7th ed. 2008; 8th ed. 2012)|January 2012
Commentary: A Report Card on Check 21
Bank & Lender Liability Litigation Reporter|September 2007
Juris Federal Law Clerk Training Handbook
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida|January 1994
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2018
In the Media:
Students, Celebrity Chefs Join The Education Fund in honoring top donors: Wells Fargo, Sapoznik Insurance, Assurant & Miami Marlins
PR Newswire|February 2018
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2017
Darrell Payne Honored with 2017 Public School Alumni Achievement Award
In the Media:
Going the Distance
The Florida Bar Journal|March 2017
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2016
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2014
Darrell Payne Joins Stearns Weaver Miller