Glenn represents clients in complex civil and government-related matters across the country. He focuses on class actions, governmental investigations, election and political activity law, and administrative proceedings. Glenn also consults on drafting proposed legislation and ballot initiatives, conducts internal investigations, and handles appeals in various federal and state jurisdictions.
Glenn also represents: cannabis investors; medical marijuana cultivators, processors, and dispensaries; and applicants for medical marijuana treatment center licensing.
Glenn’s intellectual property experience includes trademark and copyright registration and litigation.
Complex Commercial & Class Action Litigation
- Lead trial counsel for Department of Defense contractor in an action alleging breach of $90 million teaming agreement, misappropriation of trade secrets and tortious interference.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of global petroleum marketer in defense of an action challenging resolution of underground storage tank claims; defended case through final appeal to the Missouri Supreme Court, which affirmed the judgment below.
- Lead counsel for global retailer in federal class action challenging the marketing and pricing of generic headache and migraine relief products. Secured dismissal of claims for deceptive and unfair trade practices, violation of the Florida Drug and Cosmetic Act, and unjust enrichment.
- Lead trial counsel for Florida state agency in federal class action alleging due process violations relating to the agency’s benefit reduction notices.
- Obtained summary judgment on issue of first impression construing insurance coverage of actual charges for protective and supportive cancer treatments; defended case through final appeal to U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, which affirmed the judgment below.
- Defended insurers in nationwide class action litigation seeking coverage of billed versus actual charges for medical treatments.
- Defended global integrated energy corporation in multiple class actions for property damages arising from alleged exposure to contaminated groundwater.
- Represented County Clerk of Court in putative class action involving imposition of case re-opening fees; action dismissed prior to class certification and affirmed on appeal.
- Represented internet-based gold and jewelry buyer in defense of nationwide class action alleging deceptive and unfair trade practices; class certification was denied.
- Secured dismissal of putative class action alleging discriminatory and predatory consumer lending practices against a leading financial institution under the Fair Housing Act and Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act, and defeated the appeal in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of international law firm in action alleging fraudulent inducement and third-party action for indemnification with respect to distribution of $42.5 million settlement.
Administrative Law, Governmental Litigation & Investigations
- Regulatory compliance; administrative litigation relating to medical marijuana rules/regulations; preparation of licensing applications; legislative and public referenda strategy; and statutory and constitutional analysis of enacted and proposed cannabis related statutes, rules/regulations and Florida constitutional amendments.
- National counsel for global integrated energy corporation in multiple state investigations and litigation arising from alleged underground petroleum storage tank liabilities.
- Defended major Florida health system in $30 million claims bill proceedings arising out of action for medical negligence (infant brain injury and permanent disabilities).
- Lead outside counsel to Florida state agency responsible for managing docket of nearly 2,000 administrative law matters involving Medicaid fair hearings, including oversight of statewide hearing team of 20 attorneys.
- Developed and implemented: case management and tracking database; witness training program for agency’s personnel; training program for hearing attorneys; standardized pleadings, discovery documents, evidentiary submissions, and hearing procedures.
- Represented Native American Indian Tribe regarding the validity of a gaming compact between the Tribe and Florida's Governor, including a Quo Warranto proceeding in the Florida Supreme Court.
- Represented County Sherriff’s office in $31 million claims bill proceedings arising out of action for vehicular negligence (brain injury and permanent disabilities).
- Governmental investigation representations include: energy companies, major group of car rental companies; for-profit colleges and career educational institutions, national furniture manufacturer and retailer; direct mail and digital marketers; retailers; and annuities brokerage firm.
Election and Political Activity Law
- General counsel to Florida gubernatorial campaign.
- Counsels federal and state office holders and candidates, political committees, corporations, foundations, lobbyists, and high net-worth individuals with respect to election law, campaign finance compliance, and lobbying activities.
- Represented Florida Governor and Secretary of State in mandamus and quo warranto proceedings before Florida Supreme Court challenging gubernatorial appointments to fill judicial vacancies.
- Policy development, strategic consulting, and drafting of proposed legislation and ballot initiatives.
- Represented a national membership organization and other advocacy groups in a voters' rights challenge to Florida's "no match, no vote" law.
- Represented congressional candidate in election contests arising from the alleged malfunction of touch-screen voting machines.
- Served as lead trial counsel in concurrent election contests brought under the Federal Contested Election Act in the United States House of Representatives and under Florida law in state court.
- Coordinated a multi-county recount effort and interfaced with county and state elections officials concerning post-election parallel testing and software auditing.
- Lead trial counsel for the Florida Department of Health and Board of Dentistry in an action challenging the constitutionality of a Florida statute regulating dental specialty advertising.
- Lead trial counsel for a Florida House candidate in an action under Florida’s "resign-to-run" statute.
- Trial counsel for citizens’ group sponsor of proposed Hillsborough County charter amendment providing for an elected county mayor.
- Coordinated canvassing board monitoring teams for opponent of citizens’ initiative petition.
- Litigation and counseling with respect to Florida’s Public Records Act and Sunshine Laws.
Toxic Tort & Products Liability
- Represented global integrated energy corporation in defense and settlement of an environmental class action and companion medical monitoring suit.
- Defended global integrated energy corporation in toxic tort action for personal and emotional injuries arising from the alleged exposure to contaminated groundwater.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Ronald McDonald House Charities of Tallahassee, Inc., Chairman of the Board of Directors, 2017-2018
- Florida Bar Association, Code and Rules of Evidence Committee, 2006-2013
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2010-2020
Publications & Presentations
Another View: Don’t force voters into parties
The Ledger|February 2020
Election & Political Law News Update, Government & Administrative News Update, Publications:
Election season is here, and these are the dates you need to know ...
Election & Political Law Report |February 2020
Burhans: Proposal lets all voters vote
Sarasota Herald-Tribune|October 2019
Rules & Regulations for an Emerging Industry: Federal and State Legal Issues
850 Hemp Summit|October 2019
Cannabis in the Capital City
Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce Annual Community Conference |August 2019
Closed primaries disenfranchise 3.7 million Florida voters. Let all voters vote. | Opinion
South Florida Sun-Sentinel|August 2019
Dark Money and Florida Political Committees
Masters Program of Applied American Politics and Policy, Florida State University |April 2019
Open Primaries What Would It Mean For Florida?
Tampa Tiger Bay Club|October 2018
In the Media:
All Voters Vote, the amendment that united the parties when no issue could
Florida Politics|June 2020
In the Media:
Judge could be called upon to make ‘threshold decisions’ in Walton customary use case
The Walton Sun |June 2020
In the Media:
Sunrise Podcast|April 2020
In the Media:
Cost impact misleading, All Voters Vote group claims in lawsuit against state
Tallahassee Democrat|April 2020
In the Media:
Open primary measure among 6 proposed Florida constitutional amendments on November ballot
The Center Square|March 2020
In the Media:
Amendment would change Florida politics | Cotterell
Tallahassee Democrat|March 2020
In the Media:
Sunburn — The morning read of what’s hot in Florida politics — 3.20.20
Florida Politics|March 2020
In the Media:
Florida voters will decide whether to end partisan primaries
The Fulcrum|March 2020