Cynthia D. Spidell is a certified planner with over 23 years of experience in the public and private sectors.
Cynthia’s strong public/private sector relationships and intimate understanding of local regulations afford her the ability to easily navigate, mediate and resolve complex land use, zoning, and permitting matters amidst competing interests at all levels of the regulatory planning process. Cynthia provides an in-house ability to identify and effectively deal with key land use and permitting issues. She routinely works with clients to strategically analyze properties and maximize opportunities for development.
Prior to joining the Firm, Cynthia spent 4 years with Ardurra (formerly King Engineering) where she served as Project Manager for several transformative projects throughout Central and Southwest Florida including in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas and Sarasota Counties. Prior to Ardurra, she spent 11 years with the Pasco County Board of County Commissioners, 9 of which were in a planning capacity and 2+ as Capital Budget Coordinator.
Prior to her planning career, Cynthia had a diverse and extensive career in Investment Banking, working for nearly a decade at leading multinational investment banks. Cynthia's strong fiscal background, combined with her understanding of land development trends, was an essential skill set in her capacity as Capital Budget Coordinator for Pasco County and is a unique and valuable asset to clients.
- Lead Planner for Project Arthur MPUD, a 7000-acre project in Pasco County (approved June 2019).
- Coordinated planning activities related to the North Park Isle Planned Development annexation, rezoning, and comprehensive plan amendments into Plant City.
- Provided planning expertise and support to the City of Clearwater to complete the necessary approvals for an expansion of the City's Solid Waste Transfer Facility, including a flexible development plan, comprehensive plan amendment and zoning amendment.
- Coordinated approval process for a Tier 3 Wireless Facility for New Cingular Wireless (AT&T) in Pasco County.
- Facilitated the Eagle Industrial Park (140 acres) through the Employment Center MPUD process and the Pasco Economic Development Council (PEDC) Ready Site Program.
- Represented development community at Pasco County Horizontal Roundtable, the PEDC Ready Site Task Force, the PEDC Industrial Authority Task Force, and the Pasco County MPO Technical Advisory Committee.
- As Coordinator of the Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) for Pasco County:
- Developed revenue projections including Penny for Pasco, gas tax, tax increment, and development permit projections for impact/mobility fee projections.
- Balanced all capital related revenue funds for budget and ensured proper allocation of revenue consistent with legal requirements.
- Facilitated project priority and budgeting for all branches (e.g. Engineering Services/Project Management).
- Coordinated and facilitated mobility fee credit tracking for CIP impacts.
- Facilitated CIP Budget Workshops for the Pasco County Board of County Commissioners.
- As Project Leader and Planner for Developments of Regional Impacts (DRI) for Pasco County:
- Crafted development conditions, worked extensively with private developers, negotiated and facilitated complex issues and assisted with other project management capabilities.
- Prepared agendas and presentations for hearings, presentation & public speaking at public hearings.
- Provided internal and external customer service for any issues pertaining to planning related issues for DRIs and large mixed-use developments in Pasco County such as: Wiregrass Ranch, Starkey Ranch, Connerton, Bexley Ranch, SunWest Harbourtowne, Cypress Creek Town Center, Long Lake Ranch, Ashley Glen, and Trinity.
- Other experience at Pasco County:
- Represented Pasco County for DRI process within the Tampa Bay Region. Included coordination with various agencies such as: the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity, Florida Department of Transportation, Florida Department of Environmental Protection, Tampa Bay Regional Planning Council and Tampa Bay Water.
- Worked closely with the Transportation Planners to ensure long range planning of transportation network is implemented throughout the development review process.
- Participated in the Mobility Fee System implementation, which replaced Transportation Impact Fees and eliminated transportation concurrency.
- Developed implementable urban design standards to reduce vehicle miles traveled (Mixed Use Trip Reduction Measures).
- Created and updated standard language with the County Attorney's Office for Development Orders and Development Agreements.
- Facilitated Socioeconomic Data Forecast/Growth Projections for Pasco MPO and the 2040 Long Range Transportation Plan.
- Facilitated web design and migration to improve communication, customer service, and product delivery for entire Development Services Division. (Member of Web Portal Governance Board).
Professional & Community Involvement
- Pasco County Economic Development Council, 2021-Present
- Sustainability Task Force, Chair, 2021-Present
- Metropolitan Planning Organization Technical Advisory Committee (MPO TAC), 2021-Present
- American Planning Association, Florida Chapter
- American Planning Association
Publications & Presentations
Tampa Bay Local Governments Forge Ahead in Limiting Property Rights with Burdensome Land Development Moratoria
Stearns Weaver Miller News Update |February 2021
What's Developing | Winter 2020-2021
Stearns Weaver Miller News Update|January 2021
Cynthia D. Spidell Joins Stearns Weaver Miller as Associate Director of Planning