Jennifer Stearns Buttrick is Of Counsel to the Firm and Director of Pro Bono and Community Involvement. Prior to taking on this role, she practiced in the Litigation Department, where she handled commercial litigation at the trial and appellate levels in both state and federal courts and administrative actions in the State of Florida. She now focuses her practice on representing not-for-profit organizations, including independent schools, and on election and voting law matters.
Jennifer received her undergraduate degree in Spanish and History from Florida State University and spent a semester at the University of Salamanca in Salamanca, Spain, where she developed a proficiency in Spanish.
- Assists not-for-profit clients with philanthropic initiatives including raffle donations, gift agreements, setting up endowment and donor advised funds, bylaws, and advising on board governance issues.
- Serves as outside general counsel for not-for-profit clients.
- Assists clients with philanthropic goals.
- Monitored canvassing board meetings as a candidate representative and identified and reported concerns, errors, inconsistencies, and problems with the machine recount; strategized response.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center at the University of Miami's Miller School of Medicine
- Board of Overseers
- Designed for a Cure Event Chair, 2009 and 2011
- 20th Anniversary Gala Chair, 2012
- Florida International University (FIU), Honors College Deans Advisory Board
- The Education Fund, Board of Directors
- Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, Vice President, Board of Trustees
- Breakthrough Miami, Support-A-Scholar Committee
- Junior League of Miami Foundation
- Board of Directors, 2006-2010
- Lawyers for Children America, Attorney ad litem, Chair of the Regional Leadership Counsel
- New World Symphony, It’s a Family Affair Event Chair, 2009 and 2011
- The Gordon Schools of Beth David Congregation
- School Board Chair, 2007-2008
- Parents’ Association Chair, 2006-2007
- Harcourt M. and Virginia W. Sylvester Philanthropist of the Year Award, 2014
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Miami Miracle Maker Honoree, 2014
- Fairchild Philanthropy Award, 2014
- Lawyers for Children America, Pro Bono Award, 2010
- Voices for Children, Corporate Leadership Award, 2009
- Junior League of Miami’s Rebecca Herndon Bush Award, 2006
Publications & Presentations
In the Media:
The Miami Foundation Asked "What's Your Story?"
The Miami Foundation|November 2017
Stearns Weaver Miller Rallies its Riders for Cancer Research
Legal Services of Greater Miami (LSGMI) Launches Campaign for Justice at Miami Office