Sharon Dixon offers 'an extremely creative and business-friendly approach' to employee benefits tax issues. Sources add: 'Her advice is reasonable and practical. We do not get caught up in legal jargon - she gets right to the point and tells us what we need to know and how to use it.'
- Chambers USA 2015
Sharon Quinn Dixon is a Shareholder in both the Tax Department and Labor & Employment Department. Sharon's practice focuses on employee benefits for businesses and estate planning for individuals.
Sharon advises business clients about their employee benefit plans and executive compensation, including Affordable Care Act issues, other medical and insurance plan questions, 401(k) plans, COBRA issues, Section 125-Cafeteria Plans, Code Section 409A issues and tax and ERISA compliance and litigation matters. Additionally, Sharon is experienced with merger and acquisition due diligence reviews, planning for employee benefits in implementing Family Leave Act policies and incentive and nonqualified stock option plans.
Sharon counsels individual clients in the development and implementation of their estate plans, including federal estate, gift and income tax issues. Sharon represents corporate and individual fiduciaries in connection with the administration of estates and personal trusts. Sharon has particular expertise in estate planning for retirement benefits.
Sharon is a regular contributor to the firm’s labor and employment law blog, BeLabor the Point.
- Correction of 401(k)and retirement plan compliance deficiencies and submission for IRS approval.
- Review and redesign of numerous deferred compensation arrangements for compliance with Internal Revenue Code Section 409A.
- Representation of employer-plan sponsors in audits of IRS and U.S. Department of Labor.
- Successful defense of IRS challenges to estate tax valuation.
- Drafting personal trusts and planning for family business succession.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Children’s Home Society, Southeastern Division, Chair of the Board
- American Bar Association, Tax Section, Employee Benefits Committee, Member
- Fellow, American College of Employee Benefits Counsel
- The Florida Bar Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section, Member
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business: Ranked #1 in Tax, 2005-2017
- Florida Super Lawyers, selected for inclusion, 2006-2017
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Miami Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law Lawyer of the Year, 2012, 2016
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 1993-2017
- Florida Trend's Florida Legal Elite, 2016
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyers in South Florida - Labor & Employment, selected for inclusion, 2008-2017
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Publications & Presentations
Finding the Well in Wellness Programs
Stearns Weaver Miller's 27th Annual Labor and Employment Law Seminar|May 2017
EEOC Wellness Plan Controversy: All’s Well That Ends Well?
BeLabor The Point Blog |April 2017
The Changing HR Landscape: A Post-Inauguration Overview
Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce|March 2017
What’s in YOUR COBRA Notice? Insufficiencies Could Drain Your Wallet
BeLabor The Point Blog|January 2017
New EEOC Wellness Guidelines and Incentive Programs Under the Affordable Care Act
GMSHRM 2016 Legal Update |September 2016
Don’t Forget About ACA Compliance with Staffing Firm Service Agreements
BeLabor The Point Blog|August 2016
Warning Signals Ahead: Hot Employee Benefit Plan Issues for 2016
Stearns Weaver Miller's 26th Annual Labor and Employment Law Seminar|May 2016
Have an Election Season Free From Tax Penalties!
BeLabor the Point Blog |March 2016
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2017
19 Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers, 8 Practice Areas Ranked In Chambers USA 2017
Sharon Quinn Dixon Elected Chair of Children’s Home Society of Florida Board of Directors, Southeastern Division
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2016
17 Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers, 7 Practice Areas Ranked In Chambers USA 2016
Stearns Weaver Miller Presents 26th Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar
Stearns Weaver Miller Attorneys Recognized by South Florida Legal Guide 2016
15 Stearns Weaver Miller Attorneys, 7 Practice Areas Ranked In Chambers USA 2015