Thomas G. Aubin, a shareholder and a member of the Firm’s Board of Directors, is a trial lawyer in the Litigation Department. For more than twenty years, he has focused his practice on commercial litigation, medical malpractice defense for healthcare institutions and practitioners, product liability, and the defense of corporations in other commercial matters. Thomas also has extensive appellate experience.
- Representation of major healthcare institutions in Florida in all aspects of litigation, including professional liability, commercial liability, general liability, and licensing for physicians, nurses, pharmacists and other healthcare professionals.
- Handled multiple managed-care lawsuits involving multi-million dollar counterclaims and fee disputes arising out of no pay, slow pay or incomplete-pay claims.
- Representation of The Dow Chemical Company as statewide counsel for national mass-tort silicon breast-implant litigation. Coordinated discovery, filed and argued dispositive motions, attended regional and national counsel meetings, and appeared in state and federal courts.
- Representation of Michelin North America in wrongful death and catastrophic injury cases involving tire defect claims In Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties.
- Representation of drug manufacturer as Florida counsel in cases alleging defective drug and pharmaceutical products.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a South Florida hospital and emergency room personnel in high-profile, multi-million dollar medical malpractice claim.
- Obtained a defense verdict in month-long medical malpractice trial seeking more than $10,000,000 in damages.
- Represented Knauf companies, global producers of building materials and construction systems, in all Florida state court cases brought for damages arising out of alleged defects in the manufacture of drywall imported from China to the U.S. Served as Knauf’s primary counsel for Broward County cases.
- Represented a publicly-traded holding company, BFC Financial Corporation, now BBX Capital Corporation, its subsidiaries, and certain officers and directors in a complaint seeking to challenge the merger of BFC and BBX valued at over $250 million. The case was dismissed with prejudice because the Florida appraisal statute provided the exclusive remedy. The order has since been affirmed by Florida’s Fourth District Court of Appeal.
- Defense of multi-million dollar commercial fraud dispute involving the purchase and sale of nationally-known companies.
- Representation of business clients in litigations over employees’ non-competition agreements.
- Representation of national health food chain for general liability issues.
- Franklin v. Public Health Trust of Dade County, 759 So.2d 703 (Fla. 3d DCA 2000) Amicus Curiae for the Florida College of Emergency Physicians.
- Holmes Regional Med. Ctr. Inc. v. Rose, 721 So.2d 764 (Fla. 5th DCA 1998).
- Archbold Health Services, Inc. v. Future Tech Bus. Sys., 659 So.2d 1204 (Fla. 3d DCA 1995).
- Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. v. McCrone, 655 So.2d 1319 (Fla. 3d DCA 1995).
Professional & Community Involvement
- Broward County Bench-Bar Subcommittee on Local Administrative Rules, Past Chair (September 2010-2014)
- Broward County Bench-Bar Committee (August 2010-present)
- Florida Hospital Association, Participating Member
- Broward County Bar Association (1994-present)
- Broward County Federal Bar Association, Executive Committee (2002 - 2012); Past Vice President
- Broward County Bar Young Lawyers Division (1994-2000)
- Defense Research Institute (1994-2004)
- Harvard Club of Broward County (1994-present)
- Phi Delta Phi (1993)
- Southern District of Florida Court Appointed Guardian Ad Litem
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2014-2019
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Publications & Presentations
Maximizing the Potential of the Adolescent Athlete
Cleveland Clinic Florida in association with Florida Atlantic University and the United States Tennis Association|June 2009
In the Media:
Cleveland Clinic Defense Team Wins Malpractice Case
Daily Business Review|April 2015
In the Media:
Hidden Camera Shots, Expert Testimony Lead to Defense Win in Former Pilot's $6.5M Med Mal Case
Courtroom Connect|April 2015
Stearns Weaver Miller Congratulates Client Memorial Healthcare System on “Best Companies To Work For” 2014 Award