Terrific experience, insight and advice on all corporate and financing matters… Excellent practitioner.
- Chambers USA 2018-2019
Stuart D. Ames, who heads the Firm’s Commercial Lending & Asset-Based Finance practice, is a Shareholder in the Corporate Department. His practice focuses on commercial and asset-based lending, mergers and acquisitions, and corporate and securities matters. Stuart is a frequent lecturer on business entities and corporate and secured financing law, and regularly serves as an expert witness on business entity and commercial finance matters.
- $75 million syndicated working capital and partner investment financing to international law firm.
- $33 million revolving credit facilities for Austrian-based international bank.
- $22,750,000 credit facilities to partner-employees of private equity firm for limited partner capital investment financing.
- $22 million acquisition financing for major money-center bank.
- Representation of major commercial banks and other financial institutions in leveraged buyout and acquisition financing, private equity investor financing, development bond and tax credit project financing, aircraft and vessel financing, syndicated financings, international finance, credit enhancement transactions, debt restructurings, and workouts.
- Recent transactions for commercial banks included over $200 million in aircraft acquisition financing.
- Represented a major money-center bank as Agent in a $700 million syndicated financing for a twenty-bank syndicate to a national home builder.
- Represented major commercial banks in connection with two $15 million unsecured lines of credit, $15 million secured letter of credit for cruise line, $50 million unsecured letter of credit and banker’s acceptance facility to holding company of Central American automobile dealerships, $235 million of secured revolving lines of credit and term loans to various law firms throughout the United States, $5.6 million private jet aircraft term loan.
- Represented REITs in $181 million secured acquisition lines of credit.
- Loan counsel in $50 million syndicated Fixed Rate Senior Note offering.
- Experienced expert witness in cases involving corporate, partnership, LLC and commercial financing disputes.
Professional & Community Involvement
- American Bar Association, Section of Business Law, Special Consultant for State Liaisons to Corporate Laws Committee, 2006-2017
- American College of Commercial Finance Lawyers
- Fellow, 2008-Present
- Board of Regents, 2012-2016
- The Florida Bar Business Law Section
- Executive Council, 1987-Present
- Secretary - Treasurer, 1990-1991
- Section Chair, 1992-1993
- The Florida Bar Business Law Section's Corporate Law Revision Committee, Former Co-Chair, responsible for drafting the Florida Business Corporation Act (1989) and subsequent amendments
- The Florida Bar Business Law Section's Entity Legislation Revision Committees, participated in drafting extensive revisions to the Florida Business Corporation Act, the Florida Revised Limited Liability Company Act, and the Florida Revised Limited Partnership Act
- The Florida Bar Business Law Section's Corporations and Securities Committee, Chair, 1987-1990
- Key Biscayne Yacht Club, Past Commodore
- Village of Key Biscayne Charter Revision Commission, 2002 and 2007
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2005-2020
- Chambers USA America's Leading Lawyers for Business: Ranked # 1 in Banking and Finance (Transactional), 2005-2019
- International Financial Law Review 1000 (IFLR1000), Highly Regarded – Florida, Banking, 2018-2020
- American College of Commercial Finance Lawyers, Fellow and Member of the Board of Regents
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2019
- Business Law Section of The Florida Bar, Outstanding Member of the Year Award, 2014
- Florida Trend's Florida Legal Elite, 2008, 2010 - 2011, 2017
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyers in South Florida - Corporate and Business; Commercial Finance, 2008-2017
- Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition, 2009
- AV Preeminent® Top Rated Lawyer, Martindale-Hubbell
Publications & Presentations
It’s Easy Being Green in Florida: Corporations for the 'Socially-Minded'
BeLabor The Point Blog|September 2016
Now It’s Easier Being Green: Florida’s New Benefit and Social Purpose Corporations
The Florida Bar Journal|November 2014
Florida Legislative Development: Corporations for the “Socially-Minded”
BeLabor the Point Blog |July 2014
The Promise: Creditor, Guarantors and Discharge Protections
Business Law Today, ABA Section of Business Law|January 2005
Florida Business Laws Annotated
Thomson-Reuters | 2018-2019, continuously published 1993-present
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2019
Stearns Weaver Miller Attorneys Recognized in International Financial Law Review 1000 (IFLR1000) 2019
21 Stearns Weaver Miller Attorneys, 10 Practice Areas Ranked in Chambers USA 2019
Stearns Weaver Miller Attorneys Recognized in International Financial Law Review 1000 (IFLR1000) 2018
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2018
23 Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers in 10 Practice Areas Ranked In Chambers USA 2018
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2017
19 Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers, 8 Practice Areas Ranked In Chambers USA 2017