Ryan Thornton is an Associate in the Litigation Department. His practice focuses on complex litigation matters at the trial and appellate levels in both state and federal court. Ryan has experience representing public and private companies in a variety of contract and business tort disputes.
Ryan clerked for The Honorable Federico A. Moreno of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida. Prior to joining the Firm, Ryan was a law clerk for the New York office of an international firm, and an intern for The Honorable Cecilia M. Altonaga of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida. During law school, Ryan interned for the United States Department of Justice in its Criminal Division's Fraud Section.
Ryan earned his J.D., cum laude, from Georgetown University Law Center and his B.A., magna cum laude, from Duke University.
- Part of the litigation team that achieved a $100 million settlement on behalf of a Class consisting of 179 real estate investors. The settlement resolved claims that one of the largest commercial real estate firms in the world, and one of its employees, concealed and failed to alert our clients to an on-going multi-million dollar embezzlement scheme. It is currently pending Court approval.
- Counsel to developer of passenger rail project in state and federal actions asserting administrative and regulatory claims.
- Counsel to sports tournament organizer in lawsuits involving contractual and constitutional claims.
- Counsel to regional banks in shareholder derivative suits and other litigation involving contract and business torts claims.
- Counsel to mortgage asset investor and servicer in litigation involving contractual and equitable claims.
- Represented regional bank in civil suits in federal and state court arising from bank’s alleged involvement in Ponzi scheme. Each case ultimately settled upon favorable terms for the client.
- Represented global distributor of petroleum coke in litigation involving scheme to defraud the company, which settled before trial after defendant’s counterclaims were dismissed.
- Assisted trial team in three-week product liability jury trial for damages arising out of alleged defects in drywall manufactured in China, resulting in favorable verdict with nominal damages against client.
- Represented a law firm and one of its partners against claims of legal malpractice and aiding and abetting an alleged fraud by the plaintiff’s former principal; won on summary judgment, no appeal taken.
- Pro bono representation of immigrant youth in special immigrant juvenile visa and temporary custody proceedings.
- Law Clerk, Honorable Federico A. Moreno, Chief Judge of the U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- Judicial Intern, Honorable Cecilia M. Altonaga, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
Professional & Community Involvement
- Federal Bar Association, South Florida Chapter
- Dade Legal Aid, Put Something Back Pro Bono Volunteer
- Cuban American Bar Association, Pro Bono Volunteer
- Dade County Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section
- American Bar Association
Giselle Gutierrez and Ryan Thornton Named Among 40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers of South Florida by Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
In the Media:
CBRE To Pay $100M To End Class Action By Realty Investors
In the Media:
Cabot Investors Win Class Cert. In $157M Fraud Suit