Robert I. Weissler is Chairman of the Firm’s Real Estate Department and serves on the Firm’s Board of Directors. Robert is a transactional attorney, specializing in high-value acquisitions and dispositions of hospitality related assets, including hotels, resorts, golf clubs, casinos, apartment buildings (including condominiums), shopping centers, and office buildings. His clientele includes developers, operators, investors, lenders and mezzanine lenders in the development, sale, purchase, management, construction and financing of all types of commercial real estate.
- Representation of clients in the acquisition, sale and financing (including construction financing) of over 200 hotels, resorts, golf club communities and casinos located throughout the United States, Canada, Bahamas and Europe.
- Representation of developers, operators and investors of hotel/resort properties in the preparation and negotiation of joint venture and partnership agreements, franchise agreements and third-party management agreements.
- Acquisition of in excess of 30 projects throughout the United States for conversion to condominium.
- Disposition of mezzanine financing with respect to 12 residential condominium properties (totaling 2,390 units), wherein the client retained a 5% interest.
- In 2017, represented clients in the acquisition of The Hilton Durham hotel, The Hampton Inn Daytona Beach, The DoubleTree by Hilton St. Augustine, The Marriott Park City, The Tan-Tar-A Resort, The Hilton Dallas Rockwall and The Sheraton Detroit Novi.
- Represented clients in the acquisition of Ocean Mall, a shopping center in Riviera Beach, Florida, and the financing for the acquisition. The center comprises several low-rise ocean-front buildings on leased land owned by the City of Riviera Beach.
- Represented clients in the refinance of an apartment complex in Orlando, Florida, which included the defeasance and acquisition of certain government securities in order to release the lien of the mortgage from the property.
- Represented clients in the negotiation of construction financing for hotels to be constructed in Tempe, Arizona, and Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach, Florida.
- Represented clients in the refinancing of the Downtown Dadeland Retail Component, including the payoff and redemption of preferred equity.
- Local counsel in connection with the acquisition and financing of 19 Florida hotels.
- Represented clients in negotiating a contract to purchase hotel component in a mixed use development in Tempe, Arizona.
- Representation of client in the acquisition of four Florida apartment communities.
- Representation of clients in the acquisition of an existing apartment project on Miami Beach to be converted to a hotel.
- Representation of clients in the disposition of hotels in Dallas, Texas; Chicago, Illinois; and Key West and Key Largo, Florida.
- Representation of client in the acquisition of fractured condominiums and rental apartments in Midtown, Miami, Florida.
- Representation of owners in refinancing of hotels in Miami-Dade County, Florida; Denver, Colorado; Chicago, Illinois; and Houston, Texas.
Professional & Community Involvement
- University of Miami School of Law, Robert I. Weissler Endowed Scholarship Fund
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2003-2022
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyers in South Florida - Real Estate; Real Estate - Hotels & Resorts (one of only 3 attorneys listed in this category), 2006-2021
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Stearns Weaver Miller Attorneys Recognized by South Florida Legal Guide 2016
Stearns Weaver Miller Attorneys Recognized by South Florida Legal Guide 2015
Stearns Weaver Miller Recognized by South Florida Legal Guide 2014
Sixteen Stearns Weaver Miller Shareholders recognized by South Florida's Best Lawyers 2012
Twenty-Three Attorneys from Nine Practice Groups Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America