He is incredibly smart at identifying what the risks and pitfalls are early in the process, and is very personable so he can deliver tough messages in an easygoing way.
- Chambers USA 2017
Peter Lopez is a Shareholder in the Real Estate Department. Peter also serves on the Firm’s Board of Directors and Hiring Committee. He has experience in the representation of developers and operators in connection with the acquisition, sale, development, construction and leasing of commercial real estate. Peter also has experience in all aspects of commercial real estate lending including acquisition, development, construction, and permanent financing.
Acquisition, Disposition and Project Finance
- Represented developer in connection with a $76 million construction loan for 1010 Brickell, a 387-unit condominium project in Brickell, Miami.
- Representation of developers in connection with the development and construction of the Metropolitan Miami project.
- Represented a joint venture between 13th Floor Investments and Key International in connection with the $30.5 million acquisition and subsequent $95 million construction loan for The Harbour condominium project, a twin-tower, 425-unit luxury waterfront condominium located in North Miami Beach.
- Represented developer in connection with the $23.1 million sale of a portion of the project commonly known as Met 3, including the sale of the airspace above the 9th floor of the retail/parking structure. This representation included the negotiation of the purchase agreement which contemplated the design, financing and construction of the retail/parking structure upon which the buyer would develop and construct several hundred residential units.
- Represented the owner in connection with an $80 million loan from Starwood Property Mortgage, L.L.C., in connection with the JW Marriott Marquis Miami.
- Represented developer in connection with a $45 million construction loan for a mixed use commercial and retail project in downtown Miami, Florida, commonly known as “Met 3.”
- Represented developer in connection with a $250 million construction loan for a mixed use office, hotel and retail project in downtown Miami, Florida, commonly known as “Met 2.”
- Represented the City of Doral in connection with the negotiation of a $21.5 million integrated “design-build” purchase agreement and the subsequent acquisition of the new City of Doral City Hall.
- Represented developer in connection with the $35 million acquisition of a parcel of land located in Key West, Florida commonly known as “Peary Court.”
- Represented a joint venture between 13th Floor Investments and Key International in connection with the $11.5 million acquisition of a parcel of land located at 1010 Brickell Avenue, Miami, Florida.
- Represented 13th Floor Investments in connection with the sale of a portfolio of residential lots located in Collier County, Florida to a D.R. Horton.
- Represented developer in connection with the acquisition of a parcel of land located in Sunny Isles, Florida with a purchase price in excess of $14 million.
- Represented developer in connection with the purchase of a foreclosure judgment with respect to several hundred residential units in Collier County, Florida.
- Representation of hotel and resort owners in the development, financing, purchase, and sale of numerous hotel properties.
- Representation of developers and operators in connection with the negotiation and preparation of joint venture agreements with equity partners.
- Representation of commercial real estate developers and operators in connection with all aspects of their businesses, including the acquisition, development, sale, management and financing of commercial real estate.
- Representation of various financial institutions in connection with branch acquisitions and leases as well as the leasing and disposition of OREO properties.
Commercial Lending Transactions
- Representation of various financial institutions, ranging from community banks to some of the largest national banks, and mezzanine lenders in connection with numerous commercial real estate loans for the acquisition, development and construction of (i) single and multifamily home developments, (ii) hotels, (ii) condominiums and retail, (ii) apartment and (iv) office projects.
- Representation of various financial institutions in connection with working capital loans secured by accounts receivable, inventory, and other non-real property collateral.
- Representation of various financial institutions in connection with multiple loan workouts, restructurings, loan sales and deed-in-lieu transactions throughout the State of Florida.
- Represented a financial institution, as tenant, in connection with the lease (including signage rights) of its headquarters space in the Miami Tower. This transaction was a finalist for the “Office Lease Transaction of the Year” in the NAIOP Awards of Excellence 2014.
- Represented the landlord in the negotiation of (i) a 150,000 square foot lease with an international law firm, (ii) a 60,000 square foot lease with an international accounting firm, (iii) a 25,000 square foot lease with an international law firm, and (iv) a multi-floor lease (which included building naming rights) with a major national bank in a new, downtown Miami, Florida mixed use project commonly known as “Met 2.”
- Represented various financial institutions in connection with branch facility leases and ATM leases.
- Represented a local community bank in connection with the lease for its corporate headquarters and branch in Coral Gables, Florida.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Miami Children’s Health Foundation, Board of Directors
- American Bar Association
- Cuban American Bar Association
- Dade-County Bar Association
- The Florida Bar
- Coral Gables Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Chambers USA America's Leading Lawyers for Business: Up & Coming in Real Estate, 2017-2018
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2013-2019
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2009, 2011-2016
- Up-and-Coming Legal Elite in Florida Trend's Legal Elite, 2006-2007
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
23 Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers in 10 Practice Areas Ranked In Chambers USA 2018
19 Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers, 8 Practice Areas Ranked In Chambers USA 2017
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2016
In the Media:
Stearns Weaver Duo Represents Two Longtime Clients in Condo Project
Daily Business Review|May 2016
Peter D. Lopez Appointed to Miami Children’s Health Foundation Board of Directors
In the Media:
This Miami Attorney Secures Loan Through Three Banks
Daily Business Review|December 2014
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2014
In the Media:
Firm Helps Secure 250M Construction Loan
Daily Business Review |October 2008