His strengths are his practical application of the law, patience and keen insight. He brought a fresh perspective and got everyone to the table to discuss a settlement. His expertise was invaluable.
- Chambers USA
Jonathan C. Vair is a Shareholder in the Business Restructuring Department. Jonathan manages all aspects of bankruptcy litigation and focuses on resolving complex multi-party and multi-jurisdiction disputes in and out of court for corporations and executives. Jonathan's representations have involved many areas, including director and officer liability defense, global manufacturing and distributions, private equity holdings, banking compliance with anti-money laundering (AML) and “know your customer” (KYC) policies, secured lending, aviation, asset purchases, tobacco master settlement enforcement, and all matters related to bankruptcy, including successfully confirming Chapter 11 reorganizations for the fourth largest scheduled air cargo carrier and the largest not-for-profit affordable housing provider in South Florida.
Prior to joining Stearns Weaver Miller, Jonathan co-founded and served as General Counsel and Vice President to a corporation that marketed health care industry equipment throughout the Americas. In addition, Jonathan previously practiced with the business reorganization group of a nationally renowned firm. He also held judicial clerkships with The Honorable Robert A. Mark, Chief Judge, United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Florida; The Honorable William McKinley Jackson, Associate Judge for the Superior Court of the District of Columbia; and a Judicial Fellowship with The Honorable Ricardo M. Urbina, U.S. District Judge for the District of Columbia.
- Settlement Counsel and/or Counsel to certain directors and officers of various national and international corporations involving claims relating to alleged breach of fiduciary duties in the following insolvency matters: JRjr33, Inc.; Akorn, Inc.; PG&E Corporation/Pacific Gas and Electric Company (counsel to Swiss RE); Dream Center Education Holdings, LLC; RAAM Global Energy, Inc.; Walnut Hill Physicians Hospital, LLC; Oconee Regional Health Systems, Inc.; Sheehan Pipe Line Construction Company; EXCO Resources, Inc.; Rupari Holdings, Inc.; VG Liquidation, Inc. (Videology); Fansteel Foundry Corporation; Anna’s Linens, Inc.; T3M, Inc.; CS Estate, Inc., f/k/a Cardiac Science Corporation; Forest Park Medical Center at Fort Worth, LLC; root9B Holdings, Inc.; Clayton General, Inc., f/k/a Southern Regional Health System, Inc.; Superior Linen, LLC; Pioneer Health Services, Inc.; Connect Transport, LLC (Murphy Energy); Lifestyle Lift Holding, Inc.; Green Field Energy Services, Inc.; Cereplast, Inc.; GMX Resources, Inc.; Powerwave Technologies, Inc.; Special K Investors, LLC; Bank United Financial Corporation; Cordia Communications Corp.; and Arrow Air Holdings Corp.
- Counsel to Japan based Fortune 500 multinational electronic manufacturing corporation in its federal investigation, prosecution, and defense of multi-party fraud dispute.
- Counsel to American based multinational banking and financial services institution, identified as the largest deposit bank in the world, in its enforcement of secured lending rights and KYC policies with respect to domestic and foreign assets and individuals.
- Counsel to casino’s former founding investor, resulting trust, and beneficiary with respect to matters evolving from bankruptcy trustee’s allegations regarding Illinois gaming venture’s regulatory compliance and management actions.
- Counsel to one of America’s oldest commercial crane operators and the world’s largest Terex crane dealer in its successful acquisition of competing enterprises.
- Counsel to one of the world’s longest leading international cigar manufacturers in the resolution of disputed obligations with U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) and Alcohol Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB).
- Counsel to the largest not-for-profit affordable housing provider in South Florida, during its Chapter 11 restructuring in the Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Florida.
- Restructuring with National Associations of Attorneys General (NAAG) of multi-states’ treatment of sixth largest tobacco corporation under Master Settlement Agreement (MSA) and related contract.
- Counsel to the world’s fourth largest scheduled air cargo carrier, during its record 134-day Chapter 11 internal restructuring in the Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Florida.
- Counsel to national food services provider and Co-Chair of the Joint Defense Committee in a multi-party, complex litigation action involving alleged claims of conspiracy to defraud, account stated, and Florida civil RICO violations.
- Counsel to executive of one of the largest tobacco manufacturers in Latin America in a complex fraud and breach of contract case; obtained the complete dismissal of the case against the company and its senior executives in the District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
- Counsel to global transportation service provider as one of the largest unsecured creditors in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy case.
- Counsel to Chapter 7 Trustee in multimillion dollar Ponzi scheme.
- Counsel coordinating liquidation of international telecommunications corporation specializing in Voice-Over Internet Protocol (VOIP).
- Counsel to syndicated bank group holding secured claim in excess of $65 million in Chapter 11 bankruptcy case.
- Law Clerk, Honorable Robert A. Mark, Chief Judge, United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Florida
- Law Clerk, Honorable William McKinley Jackson, Associate Judge, Superior Court of the District of Columbia
- Judicial Fellowship, Honorable Ricardo M. Urbina, United States District Judge of the District of Columbia
Professional & Community Involvement
- Ad Hoc Committee on Rules and Procedures for the United States District Court, Southern District of Florida
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Bankruptcy Bar Association for the Southern District of Florida
- District Court Centralization Committee, Member, a three-member committee responsible for successfully centralizing bankruptcy appeals at the district court for the Southern District of Florida
- Facilitator for the Eleventh Circuit Judicial Conference, moderating commentary regarding current and proposed district and appellate court rules and practices, 2005
- Spellman-Hoeveler Inn of Court
- Provides pro bono services to the community and notable causes, including past representation of the federal judiciary in Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request for purposes of obtaining classified information from the National Security Administration (NSA)
- Chambers USA, Bankruptcy Litigation (Florida), 2021
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2006 and 2011
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
29 Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers in 12 Practice Areas Ranked In Chambers USA 2021
In the Media:
South Florida CEO|July 2004