Janet Goldberg McEnery is Board Certified by the Florida Bar in Labor & Employment Law and licensed in Missouri, Illinois and Florida. She represents private, public and non-profit employers in labor, employment discrimination, minimum wage/overtime, employment contract, and whistleblower claims.
For over 25 years, Janet has represented businesses, hospitals, medical practices, restaurants, hotels, wagering facilities, manufacturers, financial institutions, government contractors, municipalities, landscape contractors, insurance companies, independent insurance agencies, and educational institutions in the defense of employment and labor relations matters.
Janet is a frequent lecturer and author on a wide variety of topics related to Labor & Employment Law. She also provides interactive training for firm clients on such topics as preventing harassment and discrimination claims and complying with wage and hour laws.
- Defends discrimination and wrongful discharge claims through jury trial.
- Defends class actions.
- Represents employers before the NLRB, the EEOC, and in Department of Labor and DHS and DOJ audits.
- Advises employers on union-related issues.
- Represents employers in arbitration and collective bargaining.
- Handles affirmative action issues, drafts AAPs and represents employers in OFCCP reviews.
- Develops drug-testing and other policies.
- Advises employers about new legislation.
- Prepares employee handbooks.
- Counsels and litigates confidentiality and non-compete agreements.
- Defends places of public accommodation against ADA Title III accessibility lawsuits.
- Defends lending institutions against fair lending discrimination claims.
- Counsels employers regarding reductions in force, severance issues and compliance with plant closing laws.
- Successfully litigated one of the first W.A.R.N. Act cases, through an appeal to the Third Circuit.
- Law Clerk, Honorable James L. Foreman, Chief Judge, United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
Professional & Community Involvement
- University of South Florida, Adjunct Professor of Employment Law, 2018-Present
- The Florida Bar, Labor & Employment Law Section
- American Bar Association
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Illinois Bar Association
- Missouri Bar Association
- Academy of Florida Management Attorneys, Board Member, 2011-Present
- Society for Human Resource Management
- HR Tampa
- Florida Public Employers Labor Relations Association
- Brandon Chamber of Commerce, Chair Quarterly HR Forum
- Former Trial Attorney, National Labor Relations Board, St. Louis, Missouri
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2009-2017, 2019-2020
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2007-2019
- Tampa Bay Magazine, Tampa Bay's “Top Lawyers”
- Florida Trend's Florida Legal Elite, 2010, 2013
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Publications & Presentations
FPERLA Annual Training Conference|February 2020
Best Practices for Terminating Employees
The Community College Conference on Legal Issues|January 2020
EEOC Mediation: Your Game Changer!
U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission|December 2019
Employment Law - It Pays to Pay Attention! Common FLSA Workplace Issues and Investigating Complaints
Paralegal Association of Florida Annual Seminar|September 2019
Surviving the Equal Pay Act and the “Me Too!” Environment
2019 HR Florida Conference & Expo|August 2019
Are You Sherlock Holmes Or Inspector Clouseau? Conducting Workplace Investigations
HR Florida Conference & Expo|August 2019
ADA, FMLA and COBRA – the three-headed monster
Florida Public Human Resources Association Conference|July 2019
Minimum Wage and Overtime Rules - Are You in Compliance?
Lorman Webinar|June 2019
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2019
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2018
In the Media:
Tampa Bay Business Movers & Shakers
Tampa Bay Times|September 2017
Janet Goldberg McEnery and Andrew W. McLaughlin Have Joined Our Labor & Employment Law Group in Tampa.