Her ability to quickly comprehend an issue and offer professional advice and judgment is an absolute strength.
- Chambers USA 2020
Janet Goldberg McEnery is Board Certified by the Florida Bar in Labor & Employment Law* and licensed in Missouri, Illinois and Florida. She represents private, public and non-profit employers in labor, employment discrimination, minimum wage/overtime, employment contract, and whistleblower claims.
For over 25 years, Janet has represented businesses, hospitals, medical practices, restaurants, hotels, wagering facilities, manufacturers, financial institutions, government contractors, municipalities, landscape contractors, insurance companies, independent insurance agencies, and educational institutions in the defense of employment and labor relations matters.
Janet is a frequent lecturer and author on a wide variety of topics related to Labor & Employment Law. She also provides interactive training for firm clients on such topics as preventing harassment and discrimination claims and complying with wage and hour laws.
*With only 7% of eligible members certified, Board certification is The Florida Bar’s highest level of evaluation of a lawyer’s competence and experience in a particular area of practice. It identifies lawyers with "special knowledge, skills and proficiency, as well as a reputation for professionalism and ethics." To achieve certification, a lawyer must endure rigorous examination and testing and be evaluated by their peers.
- Defends discrimination and wrongful discharge claims through jury trial.
- Defends class actions.
- Represents employers before the NLRB, the EEOC, and in Department of Labor and DHS and DOJ audits.
- Advises employers on union-related issues.
- Represents employers in arbitration and collective bargaining.
- Handles affirmative action issues, drafts AAPs and represents employers in OFCCP reviews.
- Develops drug-testing and other policies.
- Advises employers about new legislation.
- Prepares employee handbooks.
- Counsels and litigates confidentiality and non-compete agreements.
- Defends places of public accommodation against ADA Title III accessibility lawsuits.
- Defends lending institutions against fair lending discrimination claims.
- Counsels employers regarding reductions in force, severance issues and compliance with plant closing laws.
- Successfully litigated one of the first W.A.R.N. Act cases, through an appeal to the Third Circuit.
- Law Clerk, Honorable James L. Foreman, Chief Judge, United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
Professional & Community Involvement
- University of South Florida, Adjunct Professor of Employment Law, 2018-2020
- The Florida Bar, Labor & Employment Law Section
- American Bar Association
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Illinois Bar Association
- Missouri Bar Association
- Academy of Florida Management Attorneys, Past President and Board Member, 2011-2016
- Society for Human Resource Management
- HR Tampa
- Florida Public Employers Labor Relations Association
- Brandon Chamber of Commerce, Chair Quarterly HR Forum
- Former Trial Attorney, National Labor Relations Board, St. Louis, Missouri
- Chambers USA, Labor & Employment, 2020
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2009-2021
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2007-2020
- Tampa Bay Magazine, Tampa Bay's “Top Lawyers”
- Florida Trend's Florida Legal Elite, 2010, 2013
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Publications & Presentations
Workplace COVID 19 Issues in 2021: Vaccinations, Face Mask Challenges, Extended Work from Home Orders and Incentives
W3 Insurance|February 2021
2021 COVID-19 Return to Work Issues: Vaccinations, Face Masks and Working from Home
The Coral Gables Chamber of Commerce|February 2021
Webinar Wednesday- Discussion on COVID-19 Vaccines and Mandating it to Employees
Florida Public Human Resources Association|January 2021
All I Want for the Holidays is a COVID-19 Vaccine!
BeLabor the Point Blog|December 2020
Department of Labor Weighs in on Employees vs. Independent Contractors
BeLabor the Point Blog|October 2020
The New Battle Grounds Post COVID-19 and Black Lives Matter World
Florida Public Human Resources Association (FPHRA) 1st Annual Education Series|August 2020
Why Can’t We All Just Get Along?
BeLabor the Point Blog|July 2020
Are you Sherlock Holmes or Inspector Clouseau? Conducting Workplace Investigations
2020 Space Coast HR Conference|July 2020
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in 2020 Florida Super Lawyers
24 Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers in 12 Practice Areas Ranked In Chambers USA 2020
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2019
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2018
In the Media:
Tampa Bay Business Movers & Shakers
Tampa Bay Times|September 2017
Janet Goldberg McEnery and Andrew W. McLaughlin Have Joined Our Labor & Employment Law Group in Tampa.