Janet Goldberg McEnery is Board Certified by the Florida Bar in Labor & Employment Law and licensed in Missouri, Illinois and Florida. She represents private, public and non-profit employers in labor, employment discrimination, minimum wage/overtime, employment contract, and whistleblower claims.
For over 25 years, Janet has represented businesses, hospitals, medical practices, restaurants, hotels, wagering facilities, manufacturers, financial institutions, government contractors, municipalities, landscape contractors, insurance companies, independent insurance agencies, and educational institutions in the defense of employment and labor relations matters.
Janet is a frequent lecturer and author on a wide variety of topics related to Labor & Employment Law. She also provides interactive training for firm clients on such topics as preventing harassment and discrimination claims and complying with wage and hour laws.
- Defends discrimination and wrongful discharge claims through jury trial.
- Defends class actions.
- Represents employers before the NLRB, the EEOC, and in Department of Labor and DHS and DOJ audits.
- Advises employers on union-related issues.
- Represents employers in arbitration and collective bargaining.
- Handles affirmative action issues, drafts AAPs and represents employers in OFCCP reviews.
- Develops drug-testing and other policies.
- Advises employers about new legislation.
- Prepares employee handbooks.
- Counsels and litigates confidentiality and non-compete agreements.
- Defends places of public accommodation against ADA Title III accessibility lawsuits.
- Defends lending institutions against fair lending discrimination claims.
- Counsels employers regarding reductions in force, severance issues and compliance with plant closing laws.
- Successfully litigated one of the first W.A.R.N. Act cases, through an appeal to the Third Circuit.
- Law Clerk, Chief Judge of the U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
Professional & Community Involvement
- University of South Florida, Adjunct Professor of Employment Law, 2018-present
- The Florida Bar, Labor & Employment Law Section
- American Bar Association
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Illinois Bar Association
- Missouri Bar Association
- Academy of Florida Management Attorneys, Board Member, 2011-present
- Society for Human Resource Management
- HR Tampa
- Florida Public Employers Labor Relations Association
- Brandon Chamber of Commerce, Chair Quarterly HR Forum
- Former Law Clerk, Chief Judge of the U.S. District Court, So. District of Illinois
- Former Trial Attorney, National Labor Relations Board, St. Louis, Missouri
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2007-2018
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2009-2017, 2019
- Tampa Bay Magazine, Tampa Bay's “Top Lawyers”
- Florida Trend's Florida Legal Elite, 2010, 2013
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Publications & Presentations
Surviving the Equal Pay Act and the “Me Too!” Environment
2019 HR Florida Conference & Expo|August 2019
FPERLA Annual Training Conference|February 2019
Tips For Having a (Hopefully) Happy Office Holiday Party
BeLabor the Point Blog|December 2018
This Is Important: Employers Need To Immediately Update Their FCRA "Summary Of Rights" Form
BeLabor The Point Blog|October 2018
Prevent Your Business Emails From Becoming a Legal Nightmare
Lorman Education Services Webinar|September 2018
Business Compliance Checklist: Hiring, Firing, and Overtime
The Greater Brandon Chamber of Commerce|August 2018
Nothing to Sneeze at: Chemical Sensitivities, Bed Bugs, Zika and Flu Shots
BeLabor The Point Blog|July 2018
Hotels: Want to Make a "Reservation" for your ADA Lawsuit Now?
Stearns Weaver Miller News Update|June 2018
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2018
In the Media:
Tampa Bay Business Movers & Shakers
Tampa Bay Times|September 2017
Janet Goldberg McEnery and Andrew W. McLaughlin Have Joined Our Labor & Employment Law Group in Tampa.
Our group is growing – Tampa here we come!
BeLabor The Point Blog|August 2017