Ingrid H. Ponce is a Shareholder in the Labor & Employment Department and a member of the firm’s Board of Directors. Ingrid focuses her practice on employment litigation and counseling, including wage & hour issues, collective or class actions, sexual harassment, discrimination, retaliation and whistleblower claims. She partners with her clients to develop innovative approaches to solving employee issues. She is a frequent speaker on issues such as investigating harassment/discrimination claims, religious discrimination and EEO compliance. She also provides training to managers and employees on preventing workplace harassment, EEO compliance, FMLA, ADA, workplace violence, and litigation prevention.
Ingrid is a regular contributor to the firm’s labor and employment law blog, BeLabor the Point.
- Successfully represents clients in jury trials in both state and federal courts, and in appeals before the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals and Florida's Third District Court of Appeal.
- Representation of clients in collective and class actions brought under the Fair Labor Standards Act and other federal and state laws.
- Lead counsel of litigation teams that have secured summary judgment victories on behalf of various clients in cases involving claims under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Florida Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Florida Whistleblower Act, and other employment statutes.
- Defense of employers in a variety of employment related lawsuits, including discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and other claims arising under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Florida Civil Rights Act, the Florida Whistleblower Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, and other federal, state and local employment-related laws and regulations.
- Frequently appears before the EEOC, as well as state and local EEO agencies, to defend clients against charges of discrimination and harassment; experience includes working with in-house legal or personnel departments to prepare position statements and other materials in response to such claims.
- Counsels clients with respect to design and implementation of personnel policies and procedures, and reviews, drafts, and updates policies.
- Conducts company-wide and supervisor/manager training in Spanish and English on a variety of topics, including preventing workplace harassment, EEO compliance, FMLA, ADA, workplace violence and litigation prevention.
- Represented client in a successful appeal before Florida’s Third District Court of Appeal. The Court reversed a $2.5 million jury verdict against our client in a case that contributes significantly to existing case law on discrimination and retaliation in Florida.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Breakthrough Miami, Board of Directors, 2014-2015
- The Florida Bar, Labor and Employment Section
- St. Philip's Episcopal School, Board of Trustees
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyers in South Florida - Labor & Employment, 2017-2019; Top Up and Comers - Labor & Employment, 2015-2016
- Florida Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2011-2013
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Publications & Presentations
The Applicant Dating Game
Stearns Weaver Miller's 29th Annual Labor and Employment Law Seminar|May 2019
“5 Steps to Protecting Company Secrets and Customers”
Brightline Training Seminar|January 2019
All Rise! Decisions that are Changing the Way You Do Business
Stearns Weaver Miller's 28th Annual Labor and Employment Law Seminar|April 2018
Back to the FLSA Drawing Board
Stearns Weaver Miller's 27th Annual Labor and Employment Law Seminar|May 2017
Email Restrictions: Good Idea But Don’t Hold Your Breath America
BeLabor The Point Blog|April 2017
New DOL Overtime Regulations On Hold – Now What????
BeLabor The Point Blog|November 2016
Florida Advanced Skills for Wage and Hour Compliance
2016 FLSA Master Class|October 2016
Full Steam Ahead: Keeping up with Title VII
Stearns Weaver Miller's 26th Annual Labor and Employment Law Seminar|May 2016
In the Media:
Introducing the Class of 2016
South Florida Legal Guide|July 2016
Stearns Weaver Miller Presents 26th Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar
Stearns Weaver Miller Attorneys Recognized by South Florida Legal Guide 2016
Stearns Weaver Miller Presents 25th Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar
Stearns Weaver Miller Attorneys Recognized by South Florida Legal Guide 2015
Stearns Weaver Miller Presents 24th Annual Labor and Employment Law Seminar