Felix X. Rodriguez is a Shareholder in the firm’s Construction Law Practice Group. He principally represents owners and developers in the negotiation and preparation of construction-related documents including professional design agreements, construction agreements, and development agreements. He is experienced in mediation, arbitration, and litigation of claims involving construction contracts, construction and design defects, insurance, surety bond, and related matters. Felix also assists clients with project administration to identify and achieve early resolution of potential disputes on construction projects and has extensive experience working with foreign developers in the South Florida market. Prior to his legal career, Felix owned a local development company where he managed numerous residential housing projects from inception to bidding to construction. Since 2003, he has maintained licensure as a Florida Building Contractor.
Felix is a graduate of the University of Miami School of Law, where he was a Dean’s Scholarship recipient, a member of the nationally-ranked Moot Court Board, and was recognized for his oral advocacy skills in the National Appellate Advocacy Competition. Felix earned his B.A. from Florida International University where he was a recipient of the FIU Hispanic Scholarship, the Florida Academic Scholarship and the National Hispanic Merit Scholarship.
- Representation of owners and developers in the design, construction and development of a wide array of projects, including apartments, luxury high-rise condominiums, hotels, industrial, commercial/retail and affordable housing.
- Representation of owners and developers in disputes arising from design and construction agreements, including construction defect and delay claims, surety bonds, insurance coverage, construction liens and warranty claims.
- Achieved a complete defense verdict in a four-week jury trial in defense of a construction client sued for breach of contract, and prevailed on the client’s counterclaims. Recovered attorneys’ fees and costs for client in addition to $1.1 million in compensatory damages.
- Obtained favorable verdict for a multifamily housing developer in a months-long construction defects arbitration.
- FENDI Chateau Residences; a 58 unit luxury, high rise residential condominium located in Sunny Isles Beach, Florida.
- Chateau Beach; an 82 unit luxury, high rise residential condominium located in Sunny Isles Beach, Florida.
- New River Yacht Club; a 249-unit luxury, high rise residential apartment complex located in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
- Flagler Village; a mixed-use complex consisting of 25,000 square feet of retail space along with 382 mid-rise residential apartment units, located in Miami, Florida.
- Doral View Apartments; a 360-unit apartment complex located in Miami, Florida.
- Park Square Apartments; a 398-unit apartment complex located in Doral, Florida.
- ICON Bay; a 299-unit luxury, high rise residential condominium located in Miami, Florida.
- Millecento; a 382-unit high rise residential condominium located in Miami, Florida.
- The Park at Kendall Apartments; a market-rate apartment complex consisting of 14 buildings containing 296 luxury residential apartment units, located in Miami, Florida.
- Baltus House; a 167-unit first class high-rise residential condominium with commercial and recreational spaces located in Miami, Florida
- Atlantech Apartments; a 264-unit apartment complex consisting of first class mid-rise residential apartment units, located in Miami, Florida.
- Biscayne Beach Club; a condominium consisting of 399 first class high-rise residential condominium units and related amenities, located in Miami, Florida.
- One Ocean; a luxury condominium consisting of 46 residences and 4 Ocean Villas with related luxury amenities, located in Miami-Beach, Florida.
- Alton Pointe; an apartment complex consisting of 9 low-rise apartment buildings, located in Miami-Beach, FL.
- St. John Plaza; a 90-unit apartment complex in Overtown, Miami, financed through multiple sources including bonds issued by the Southeast Overtown/Park West Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA) and the Housing Finance Authority of Miami-Dade County.
- The Reed at Encore; an income-restricted senior housing project consisting of 158 apartment units and ground floor retail space, located in Tampa, Florida.
- The Tempo at Encore; an income-restricted housing project consisting of 203 apartment units and ground floor retail space, located in Tampa, Florida.
- Joe Moretti Apartments; an income-restricted senior housing project consisting of 116 apartment units and ground floor retail space, located in Miami, Florida.
- Amber Cove; a two-berth deep water pier and adjacent commercial development including administrative, retail, food and beverage buildings, transportation hub, waterpark and related amenities located in the Dominican Republic.
- Grand Turk Cruise Center; retail development including food and beverage buildings, transportation hub, and related amenities located in the Turks and Caicos Islands.
- Margaritaville Hollywood Beach Resort; consisting of 349 luxury hotel rooms, restaurants, banquet halls together with recreational amenities.
- Ft. Pierce Shopping Center; renovation and expansion of existing shopping center project located in Fort Pierce, Florida.
- Building.co; renovation and expansion of existing commercial office building located in downtown Miami, Florida.
- Negotiation and preparation of contracts for the engineering, procurement, and development of a $160 million pharmaceutical production facility for a Fortune 500 company.
- Negotiation and preparation of contracts for the engineering, procurement, and development of a $6 million data center for a Fortune 500 company.
- Negotiation and preparation of contracts for the engineering, procurement, and development of a $50 million manufacturing facility for one of the country’s largest privately held companies.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Dade County Bar Association, Construction Law Committee Vice-Chairperson
- The Florida Bar, Construction Law Committee, Member
- Cuban-American Bar Association, Member
Publications & Presentations
Litigation Mitigation: Florida's Construction Defects Statute
Stearns Weaver Miller |May 2017
Publications, Recent News Updates:
Challenges in South Florida Coastal Permitting Projects Mount, with Statewide Implications
Stearns Weaver Miller News Update|February 2016
Lean Construction – An Innovative Way to Manage Projects
Construction Ink!|August 2012
Document Retention Policies: How to Properly Manage Voluminous Data
Construction Ink!|January 2012
Stearns Weaver Miller Names Three New Shareholders
In the Media:
Fake Engineer Feeds $1.1M Award on Concrete Balcony Contract
Daily Business Review |February 2016