David T. Coulter is an Associate in the litigation department. He earned his J.D., summa cum laude, from the University of Miami School of Law.
Before joining the firm, David was a law clerk to the Honorable William J. Zloch, United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida. During law school, David was a legal intern to the Honorable John J. O’Sullivan, United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida and the Honorable Ivan F. Fernandez, Florida Third District Court of Appeal.
- Represented Flagstone Island Gardens LLC and Flagstone Development Corporation in a suit against the City of Miami in connection with Flagstone’s right to develop and lease a $1.2 billion mixed-used hotel, retail and marina project on Watson Island. Flagstone won the bid to develop in 2001 and subsequently obtained financing. However the market crash in 2007 caused investors to walk out on the project. In 2010, the City and Flagstone amended the agreement to include longer time periods to commence and complete development in phases. Throughout this period, a group of community activists opposed to the project started a campaign to block the project, filing lawsuits and submitting numerous letters to city officials. Building permits that should have been granted were stalled and the City Commission, led by Commissioner Russell, declared Flagstone in default. Flagstone sued to declare that there was no default and seek damages for the City’s breach of the agreements. The case was bifurcated between liability and damages. After a 7-day bench trial on liability, Judge William Thomas entered a 27-page order finding against the City and in favor of Flagstone on every disputed issue. While not addressed by the Court in this phase of the litigation, Flagstone offered evidence that it has invested more than $120 million in the project.
- Law Clerk, Honorable William J. Zloch, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- Judicial Intern, Honorable John J. O’Sullivan, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- Judicial Intern, Honorable Ivan F. Fernandez, Florida Third District Court of Appeal
Professional & Community Involvement
- Alumni Advisory Board, Charles C. Papy, Jr. Moot Court Board
- Dean’s Merit Scholarship
- Falk, Waas, Hernandez, Cortina Scholarship
- Karl N. Llewellyn Scholarship
- M. Minnitte Massey Award, 2016
- Patricia Redmond Scholarship
- Paul B. Anton Scholarship
- Thomas Ewald Memorial Award, 2015
- Who’s Who in American Universities and Colleges, 2015
In the Media:
Watson Island Developer Wins Case Against Miami, Plans to Seek Damages
Daily Business Review|March 2018
In the Media:
Developer Beats City Of Miami In Suit Over $400M Project
Stearns Weaver Miller Adds Seven Associates Across Five Practice Areas