Curtis Sitterson is a Shareholder and is the Chair of the Tax Department. He is a member of the Firm's Board of Directors, and from 1993 through 1998 he served as the Firm's Managing Director. Curtis has primary responsibility within the firm for the tax structuring of all mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and reorganizations. His corporate practice covers the same matters.
- Represented BBX Capital Corporation in the acquisition of IT’SUGAR for a purchase price of approximately $57 million, net of cash acquired. IT’SUGAR is the largest specialty candy retailer in the United States with 95 locations in 26 states. The acquisition expands BBX Capital’s retail confectionary footprint, which includes Hoffman’s Chocolates.
- Counsel to aviation components brokerage company and principal in defending breach of fiduciary duty claims brought by Brazilian judgment creditors of clients’ former business associate in proceedings supplementary action. Obtained dismissal of all claims on motion to dismiss.
- Represented real estate investment group Gencom in the acquisition of a luxury resort in Costa Rica’s tourist hotspot of Guanacaste. The acquisition of Peninsula Papagayo Resort includes the Four Seasons Papagayo Hotel, a golf course, marina and beaches.
- Lead counsel for the founding shareholders of a Florida based manufacturing business in a $150 million sale to a major European manufacturer.
- Lead counsel in connection with buyout of sponsor interests in a portfolio of over 7 million square feet of commercial office space valued at approximately $1.1 billion, including restructuring of indebtedness and incurrence of new financing, negotiation of amendments with several institutional equity partners and negotiation of organizational documents for new management company.
- Serves as counsel to property and casualty insurance companies writing medical malpractice coverage for physicians and long term care facilities.
- Lead counsel for the sale of a portfolio of partnership interests in over 30 federally assisted and market rate apartment projects to a major apartment REIT.
- Represented a nationwide provider of janitorial services based in New Jersey. Served as lead counsel in the acquisition and financing of client’s purchase of the janitorial division of a Houston based public company in Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings. Also served as lead counsel on behalf of client in the sale of self-performed janitorial cleaning operations to a New York Stock Exchange Company, based in San Francisco and in the sale of client’s mall division.
- Prepared and negotiated, on behalf of a newly formed homeowner's insurer, the first in force assumption of more than 100,000 homeowner's policies from the Florida Residential Property and Casualty Joint Underwriting Association, pursuant to which the client was granted a multimillion dollar bonus. The agreement was adopted by the JUA as its model for future assumptions.
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyers in South Florida - Tax, 2014-2016
Publications & Presentations
Publications, Recent News Updates:
Update: IRS Provides Guidance for Big Capital Gains Break
Stearns Weaver Miller News Update|October 2018
Stearns Weaver Miller Attorneys Recognized by South Florida Legal Guide 2016
In the Media:
Legal Team Advising on Sunset Place Switched to CocoWalk and Back Again
Daily Business Review|October 2015
In the Media:
Stearns Weaver Team Handles CocoWalk Acquisition
Daily Business Review|June 2015
Stearns Weaver Miller Attorneys Recognized by South Florida Legal Guide 2015
Stearns Weaver Miller Recognized by South Florida Legal Guide 2014