Andrew W. McLaughlin assists clients in labor and employment matters with a focus on employee benefits, particularly the impact of the Affordable Care Act and EBSA audits. He also represents clients in ERISA litigation.
Andy represents property owners including shopping centers, restaurants, office buildings, hotels and other places of public accommodation in ADA accessibility lawsuits and defends credit unions and financial institutions against fair housing complaints.
Andy has an L.L.M. in Taxation and a Certificate in Employee Benefits.
- Defends discrimination and wrongful discharge claims.
- Defends class actions.
- Represents employers before the EEOC and Department of Labor Wage & Hour and EBSA divisions.
- Advises employers about new legislation.
- Prepares employee handbooks and develops drug-testing and other policies.
- Counsels and litigates confidentiality and non-compete agreements.
- Defends places of public accommodation against ADA Title III accessibility lawsuits.
- Defends lending institutions against fair lending discrimination claims.
- Counsels employers regarding severance issues.
Professional & Community Involvement
- The Florida Bar Labor & Employment Law Section
- Hillsborough County Bar Association Young Lawyers Division
- American Bar Association Labor & Employment Law Section
Publications & Presentations
Don't Be Snake Bit. Make Sure the COBRA Notices You Use Are Correct.
BeLabor the Point Blog|January 2019
Another ERISA Fiduciary Duty? Protecting Your Benefit Plan's Confidential Information
Stearns Weaver Miller's 28th Annual Labor and Employment Law Seminar|April 2018
New Tip Rules Impact All Employers who Receive Tips
BeLabor The Point Blog |March 2018
Sexual Harassment: Audit Your Campus Policies & Procedures to Minimize Risk & Ensure Compliance
PaperClip Communications Webinar|February 2018
Tax Reform: Confidential Sexual Harassment Settlements Come With a Price
BeLabor The Point Blog|December 2017
Faculty & Staff Sexual Misconduct: Minimize the Risk of Misconduct & Respond to Claims Appropriately
Publications, Recent News Updates:
Retirement Plan Hurricane Relief for Affected Participants
Stearns Weaver Miller News Update|November 2017
What’s the effect of the Sessions’ memo on transgender discrimination?
BeLabor The Point Blog|October 2017
In the Media:
Confidentiality Disqualifies Harassment Settlement Tax Deductions
Society For Human Resource Management|February 2018
Stearns Weaver Miller Adds Seven Associates Across Five Practice Areas
In the Media:
Tampa Bay Business Movers & Shakers
Tampa Bay Times|September 2017
Janet Goldberg McEnery and Andrew W. McLaughlin Have Joined Our Labor & Employment Law Group in Tampa.
Our group is growing – Tampa here we come!
BeLabor The Point Blog|August 2017