Andrew W. McLaughlin assists clients in labor and employment matters. He represents private, public and non-profit employers in labor, employment discrimination, restrictive covenant, minimum wage/overtime, employment contract, and employee benefits related litigation. He also provides clients with proactive advice regarding their HR practices including assisting in the administration of their employee benefits plans.
Andy represents property owners including shopping centers, restaurants, office buildings, hotels and other places of public accommodation in ADA accessibility lawsuits and defends credit unions and financial institutions against fair housing complaints.
Andy has an L.L.M. in Taxation and a Certificate in Employee Benefits.
- Defends discrimination and wrongful discharge claims.
- Defends class actions.
- Represents employers before the EEOC and Department of Labor Wage & Hour and EBSA divisions.
- Advises employers about new legislation.
- Prepares employee handbooks and develops drug-testing and other policies.
- Counsels and litigates confidentiality and non-compete agreements.
- Defends places of public accommodation against ADA Title III accessibility lawsuits.
- Defends lending institutions against fair lending discrimination claims.
- Counsels employers regarding severance issues.
Professional & Community Involvement
- The Florida Bar Labor & Employment Law Section
- Hillsborough County Bar Association Young Lawyers Division
- American Bar Association Labor & Employment Law Section
Publications & Presentations
Events, Labor & Employment News Update:
Breaking Through the Noise: Labor & Employment Issues Post-Pandemic
Stearns Weaver Miller News Program Special|June 2021
SBA Issues Restaurant Revitalization Funding Program (Not Just for Restaurants)
Stearns Weaver Miller News Update|April 2021
WEBINAR: COBRA Conundrum - Changes to COBRA Under the American Rescue Plan Act
Stearns Weaver Miller Webinar|April 2021
State tax withholding and other obligations for remote workers. What you don’t know CAN hurt you. (PART 1)
BeLabor the Point Blog|March 2021
Small Business Virtual Tax Roundtable: Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) Tax Issues and Employee Retention Credit (ERC) Update
U.S. Small Business Administration Office of Advocacy Webinar|February 2021
WEBINAR: PPP Part II and Employee Retention Credit Overview
Stearns Weaver Miller Webinar|January 2021
WEBINAR: PPP Loan Forgiveness Overview
Three Things That Make Employers Uncomfortable
Florida Public Human Resources Association (FPHRA) 1st Annual Education Series|August 2020
Stearns Weaver Miller Names Five New Shareholders
In the Media:
Confidentiality Disqualifies Harassment Settlement Tax Deductions
Society For Human Resource Management|February 2018
Stearns Weaver Miller Adds Seven Associates Across Five Practice Areas
In the Media:
Tampa Bay Business Movers & Shakers
Tampa Bay Times|September 2017
Janet Goldberg McEnery and Andrew W. McLaughlin Have Joined Our Labor & Employment Law Group in Tampa.