Andrew W. McLaughlin assists clients in labor and employment matters. He represents private, public and non-profit employers in labor, employment discrimination, restrictive covenant, minimum wage/overtime, employment contract, and employee benefits related litigation. He also provides clients with proactive advice regarding their HR practices including assisting in the administration of their employee benefits plans.
Andy represents property owners including shopping centers, restaurants, office buildings, hotels and other places of public accommodation in ADA accessibility lawsuits and defends credit unions and financial institutions against fair housing complaints.
Andy has an L.L.M. in Taxation and a Certificate in Employee Benefits.
- Defends discrimination and wrongful discharge claims.
- Defends class actions.
- Represents employers before the EEOC and Department of Labor Wage & Hour and EBSA divisions.
- Advises employers about new legislation.
- Prepares employee handbooks and develops drug-testing and other policies.
- Counsels and litigates confidentiality and non-compete agreements.
- Defends places of public accommodation against ADA Title III accessibility lawsuits.
- Defends lending institutions against fair lending discrimination claims.
- Counsels employers regarding severance issues.
Professional & Community Involvement
- The Florida Bar Labor & Employment Law Section
- Hillsborough County Bar Association Young Lawyers Division
- American Bar Association Labor & Employment Law Section
Publications & Presentations
Why Can’t We All Just Get Along?
BeLabor the Point Blog|July 2020
Top Takeaways from Our Back to Work Virtual Chat
BeLabor the Point Blog|June 2020
Back to Work Virtual Chat
Stearns Weaver Miller Webinar|June 2020
Virtual Webinar - Navigating Issues That Make HR Uncomfortable
South Brevard Society for Human Resource Management|May 2020
Virtual Webinar - CARES Act
COVID News Update, Labor & Employment News Update, Publications:
Federal Paid Leave Law Signed by President Trump
BeLabor The Point Blog|March 2020
IRS Applies Some WD-40 to its Form W-4
BeLabor the Point Blog|January 2020
Strict Enforcement of Non-Negotiable Employment Policies: A Few Horror Stories
BeLabor the Point Blog|October 2019
Stearns Weaver Miller Names Five New Shareholders
In the Media:
Confidentiality Disqualifies Harassment Settlement Tax Deductions
Society For Human Resource Management|February 2018
Stearns Weaver Miller Adds Seven Associates Across Five Practice Areas
In the Media:
Tampa Bay Business Movers & Shakers
Tampa Bay Times|September 2017
Janet Goldberg McEnery and Andrew W. McLaughlin Have Joined Our Labor & Employment Law Group in Tampa.