A brilliant attorney and a tremendous partner to our business.
- Chambers USA 2016
Alison Miller is a Director and Shareholder of the Firm and head of the Firm’s Corporate & Securities practice. She has more than 35 years of experience advising public & private companies in all aspects of business, including securities offerings, mergers & acquisitions, and periodic securities reporting and compliance. Alison's clients are engaged in a wide range of industries, including banking & financial services, pharmaceutical, real estate, and hospitality. Alison frequently lectures on topics relating to securities law, acquisitions, compliance and accounting topics.
- Corporate and securities counsel for public companies.
- Counsel to public company boards of directors and audit committees, including advice and compliance issues arising out of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 and heightened corporate governance rules.
- Representation of financial institutions before state and federal regulators.
- Issuer’s and underwriter’s counsel in connection with offerings of equity, debt and trust-preferred securities in public, private and 144A offerings.
- Extensive experience in connection with both friendly and hostile mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, and “spin-offs”.
- Representation of Board Special Committees in connection with complex transactions.
- Counsel in numerous “going private” transactions, restructurings and recapitalizations.
- Extensive experience assisting financial institutions in Bank Secrecy Act/Anti-Money Laundering compliance, policies and look-backs.
- Regularly counsels clients on Cybersecurity issues including policies and practices, and disclosure obligations following a breach.
- Represented community bank in its issuance of preferred stock to the United States Treasury under the Small Business Lending Fund and its subsequent redemption.
- Represented publicly traded holding company in the acquisition of its publicly traded real estate subsidiary for approximately $50 million of consideration consisting of the holding company’s stock.
- Represented multiple publicly traded companies in follow-on and subscription rights offerings.
- Represented multiple publicly traded companies in matters relating to their listing on the New York Stock Exchange and other securities exchanges.
- Represented publicly traded savings and loan holding company in the sale of its broker-dealer subsidiary for approximately $150 million of consideration consisting of cash, stock and warrants.
- Issuer’s counsel in Rule 144A offering of $144 million of senior convertible debt for a clinical drug development services company.
- Issuer’s counsel in $133 million follow-on equity offering for a clinical drug development services company.
- Represented bank holding companies in connection with the preparation of their Tailored Plan for filing with the U.S. Federal Reserve.
- Represented a public company in connection with a $150 million acquisition of the publicly traded shares of a subsidiary not previously owned.
- Represented an investor group in connection with a $57 million proposed acquisition and control of a state chartered bank, including representation in connection with the approval of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and the Florida Office of Financial Regulation.
- Represented BankAtlantic Bancorp, Inc. in the sale of its banking subsidiary – BankAtlantic – to BB&T Corporation. BankAtlantic was the second largest financial institution headquartered in the State of Florida. Prior to the closing, BankAtlantic contributed approximately $200 million of loans, real estate owned and other assets to a wholly owned subsidiary of BankAtlantic Bancorp. In addition, BankAtlantic contributed $395 million of loans and other assets into a joint venture and BB&T was issued a $285 million (95%) preferred interest in the venture in exchange for the assumption of $285 million of BankAtlantic Bancorp’s trust preferred securities obligation.
- Represented BankAtlantic Bancorp, Inc. in its sale of all 19 of BankAtlantic’s branches located in the Tampa area to PNC Bank.
Professional & Community Involvement
- The Miami Foundation, Board of Trustees, 2018
- United Way of Miami-Dade, Former Director
- Feeding South Florida, Former Board Member
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business: Ranked # 3 in Corporate/M&A, 2009-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2003-2019
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2019
- South Florida Business Journal, "Power Leader in Banking & Finance," 2014-2016
- Daily Business Review, "Top 20 Women in Law," 2014
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyers in South Florida - Corporate & Business; Securities, 2008-2019
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- International Financial Law Review 1000 (IFLR1000), Highly Regarded – Florida, Capital Markets: Debt; Capital Markets: Equity; M&A, 2019
Publications & Presentations
Please leave a message - I am currently balancing work and life but I will get back to you no later than my next life
The Coral Gables Chamber of Commerce Women's Business Network Luncheon|November 2015
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2018
23 Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers in 10 Practice Areas Ranked In Chambers USA 2018
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2017
19 Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers, 8 Practice Areas Ranked In Chambers USA 2017
Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers 2016
17 Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers, 7 Practice Areas Ranked In Chambers USA 2016
Stearns Weaver Miller Attorneys Recognized by South Florida Legal Guide 2016
In the Media:
Power Leaders in Banking & Finance
South Florida Business Journal|July 2015