Melanie R. Leitman is an attorney in the Labor & Employment Group. Her practice focuses on employment defense litigation and Human Resources compliance, consultation, and training. Melanie has experience representing management-side clients in various employment-related claims, including Chapter 760, Title VII, ADA, FMLA, FLSA, whistleblower retaliation claims, drafting and enforcement/defense of covenants prohibiting competition, and constitutional claims arising out of employment disputes. She has represented clients in pre-claim consultation, EEOC/FCHR position statements and investigations, state/federal court litigation, and appellate disposition thereof.
Melanie has also represented individuals and both public and private entities in all aspects of civil law, including administrative and regulatory law, tort defense, general business and contract disputes, state and federal appellate advocacy, and has experience securing tax exempt status from the IRS for 501(c) entities. She additionally represents clients in family law disputes.
- Secured summary judgment and Eleventh Circuit affirmance, with written opinion, for school board in a Title VII race claim .
- Represented a large federally-funded health center employer in litigation brought under the Church Amendment by out-of-state special-interest law firm on behalf of a job applicant.
- Represented large private employer in on-site EEOC investigation and administrative subpoena.
- Currently representing a Clerk of Court in a constitutional challenge of statutes which affect its funding. After prevailing in a bench trial, the case is currently on appeal with the First District Court of Appeals.
- Represented a state agency in a whistleblower jury trial which the appellate court later found should have been disposed of in defendant’s favor on a motion for directed verdict. Managed all post-verdict procedures, damages evaluation, and taxation of fees and costs before the appeal as well as the remand and entry of judgment for the state agency.
Professional & Community Involvement
- William H. Stafford American Inn of Court
- Student Education and Admission to the Bar Committee, 2013-2019
- Labor and Employment Law Section of the Florida Bar – Law School Liaison Committee
- Tallahassee Women Lawyers
- Tallahassee Bar Association
- Gulf Winds Track Club
- Gulf Winds Triathletes
- Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2015-2018