Glenn Rissman is a Shareholder in the Labor & Employment Department. Glenn's practice focuses on employment law, immigration, and accessibility. Glenn regularly represents clients in a wide variety of matters arising under Title VII, Section 1981, ADA, ADEA, FMLA, WARN Act, FLSA, ERISA, and the Florida Civil Rights Act. He also advises employers regarding hiring, termination, and discipline of employees; compliance with federal, state, and local discrimination laws and wage and hour issues; sexual harassment matters; I-9 compliance and unauthorized employment; and mass layoffs and plant closings.
Glenn also practices in the area of employment-based immigration and naturalization. He represents employers and investors seeking temporary visas and permanent residence for employees and has successfully obtained non-immigrant visas (H-1B, L-1, TN, O, P, E) for employers in industries such as retail, hospitality, pharmaceutical, and manufacturing. Glenn counsels clients regarding I-9 compliance, audits and inspections.
Glenn also defends and advises institutions on public accessibility for persons with disabilities. Glenn has defended dozens of public accessibility lawsuits brought under Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Glenn is a frequent speaker on employment issues and is a regular contributor to Belabor the Point, Stearns Weaver Miller’s award-winning labor & employment law blog.
- Represented BBX Capital Corporation in the acquisition of IT’SUGAR for a purchase price of approximately $57 million, net of cash acquired. IT’SUGAR is the largest specialty candy retailer in the United States with 95 locations in 26 states. The acquisition expands BBX Capital’s retail confectionary footprint, which includes Hoffman’s Chocolates.
- Obtained summary judgment (affirmed on appeal) for financial institution in age, disability and FMLA action with multimillion dollar exposure.
- Obtained defense verdict for prominent retailer on national origin discrimination claim.
- Obtained defense verdict for national bank on public accessibility claims arising under federal and state law.
- Obtained L-1 blanket petition for Miami-based multinational to ease the transfer of overseas managers and executives.
- Obtained alien of extraordinary ability status for musicians, dancers, dance teachers, business people, IT personnel and chefs.
- Regularly conducts in-house training on I-9 compliance, sexual harassment and other topical issues impacting the workplace.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Harid Conservatory of Music, Inc. – Member, Board of Trustees
- Spanish River Community High School Foundation – Member, Board of Directors
- Florida Trend's Florida Legal Elite, selected for inclusion, 2005-2006, 2008 and 2011
Publications & Presentations
Publications, Recent News Updates:
Six Month EAD Extension for Haitian Nationals who Re-register for TPS
BeLabor The Point Blog |May 2017
Investigating Conduct Unbecoming of an Employee
Stearns Weaver Miller's 27th Annual Labor and Employment Law Seminar|May 2017
Just Who is Using All those H-1B Visas?
BeLabor The Point Blog|March 2017
Employer’s Honest Mistake Bests FMLA Retaliation Claim
BeLabor The Point Blog|February 2017
Hot Topics in Employment Law
Florida Institute of CPAs - Palm Beach Chapter |February 2017
Warnings for Your Company Holiday Party
BeLabor The Point Blog|December 2016
Form I-9 Alert: New Rule Will Automatically Extend Expiring EAD
BeLabor The Point Blog|November 2016
USCIS Releases New Form I-9
BeLabor The Point Blog|November 2016
Stearns Weaver Miller Presents 26th Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar
In the Media:
Preventing embarrassing photos from going public
What's Working In Human Resources|January 2016
Stearns Weaver Miller Presents 25th Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar
Stearns Weaver Miller Presents 24th Annual Labor and Employment Law Seminar
Stearns Weaver Miller Unveils New Labor and Employment Law Blog
Stearns Weaver Miller Attorneys Garner Recognition in Prestigious Florida Trend Magazine
Firm Expands Labor, Litigation Departments