Giselle Gutierrez Madrigal practices in the Labor & Employment and Litigation Departments. Her labor and employment experience includes representing clients before administrative agencies (such as the EEOC and the NLRB) and federal and state courts in cases involving employment discrimination, retaliation, unpaid wages, defamation and claims under the FMLA, ADA, ADEA, Title VII, and more. Giselle also handles non-compete and employment contract litigation.
Giselle clerked for The Honorable Paul C. Huck, United States District Judge for the Southern District of Florida. Judge Huck sat, by designation, as a member of a United States Circuit Court appellate panel five times during Giselle’s clerkship, and she gained valuable insight into the workings of and practice before the federal appellate courts as well as the District Court.
Prior to joining the Firm, Giselle was a judicial intern for The Honorable Virginia M. Hernandez Covington of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida and for The Honorable Marcia G. Cooke of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
- Obtained summary judgment victory in federal court for multinational food distributor against former employee seeking overtime wages due to alleged misclassification.
- Obtained judgment in federal court trial for excess completion cost damages, attorneys’ fees and costs, on behalf of municipality against surety arising from surety’s breach of performance bond involving two components of $120 million public works project.
- Obtained victory for client after evidentiary hearing in defense of a motion for temporary restraining order in a case involving a non-compete agreement.
- Obtained favorable settlement for client resulting in dismissal of age discrimination case.
- Assisted in obtaining a favorable settlement, on behalf of a professional basketball team, of a dispute with the architects of its arena.
- Experience includes labor and employment defense, contract disputes, business torts, False Claims Act cases, and professional malpractice defense.
- Pro Bono: Represents children who were victims of crimes in Latin America in obtaining U.S. visas.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Cuban American Bar Association
- Executive Board, Treasurer, 2018
- Executive Board, Secretary, 2017
- Board of Directors, 2016-present
- Judicial Committee Co-Chair, 2016
- Night with the Marlins (benefiting CABA Pro Bono Project), Chair, 2016-present
- 5K Committee, Member, 2013; Vice-Chair, 2014; Co-Chair, 2015; Chair, 2016
- Young Lawyers Committee, Member 2013-present; Chair, 2016
- Events Committee, Vice-Chair, 2016; Co-Chair, present
- Membership Committee, Vice-Chair, 2016
- Art in the Tropics Committee, Member, 2015-present
- CABA on Cuba Committee Member, 2016-present
- Federal Bar Association, Law Clerk Committee, Member, 2015-present
- Florida Association for Women Lawyers (FAWL), Member, 2016
- Legal Services of Greater Miami, Small Claims Clinic, 2015
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Miami, Mentor, 2016
- Frank E. Maloney Award for Outstanding Candidate, Florida Law Review
Publications & Presentations
Florida Employment Laws
Sanchelima & Associates|March 2018
The How-Tos We Do Not Learn In Law School
The Florida Bar, Basic Business Litigation Course|February 2018
Morale Makes Money: How Starbucks Raised The Bar(ista)… Again
BeLabor the Point Blog|January 2018
What In-House Counsel Needs to Know about Employment Laws
Desayuno con CABA|January 2018
Massachusetts: Medical Marijuana May Be “Reasonable Accommodation”—Still No Guidance In Florida
BeLabor The Point Blog|August 2017
Employment Law Update: Medical Marijuana, Paid Sick Leave, Arbitration, Trade Secrets Act Seminar
Doral Chamber of Commerce|July 2017
The Times, They Are A-Changin’: Medical Marijuana, Paid Sick Leave, Arbitration, Trade Secrets Act
Stearns Weaver Miller's 27th Annual Labor and Employment Law Seminar|May 2017
Google’s Pay Policy: Good? Or Too Good to be True?
BeLabor The Point Blog|April 2017
Giselle G. Madrigal Re‐Elected to Cuban American Bar Association (CABA) Board of Directors
Stearns Weaver Miller Presents 26th Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar
Giselle G. Madrigal Joins Cuban American Bar Association (CABA) Board of Directors