Claire Carraway, a Shareholder in the Firm’s Tampa office, practices in the Real Estate and Land Development, Zoning & Environmental Departments.
Claire has extensive experience representing property owners, developers, and financial institutions in commercial real estate matters involving leasing, acquisitions, dispositions, financing, development, land use, zoning, permitting and environmental issues, title and survey matters, and property and construction management. For almost 18 years before joining the firm, Claire served as Assistant General Counsel/Senior Vice President at Bank of America where she handled all aspects of the bank’s real estate owned and leased portfolio in Florida and Georgia.
- Represented BTI, one of Florida’s leading real estate investors, land owners, developers and asset management firms, in land use and environmental issues related to the development of Westshore Marina District (formally New Port Tampa Bay). This is the second largest new development project in Tampa Bay today. Construction crews recently broke ground on this $600 million large-scale project and predict that it will be finished by 2020. It will rest on 55 acres of the Tampa Bay waterfront and will include 200+ marina slips, a hotel, retail shops, boat-up restaurants, a public esplanade connected to a 1.4-mile public park and 1,250 apartments and condos.
Represented financial institutions in construction and permanent financing of shopping centers, office buildings, medical centers, apartment complexes, and hotels, including preparing and negotiating loan documents, reviewing title and survey matters and addressing land use, zoning, permitting, and platting issues.
- Represented owners and developers of office buildings, shopping centers, apartment complexes, single-family subdivisions, adult living facilities, charter schools, hotels, marinas, and restaurants in land use, zoning, and Development of Regional lmpact cases, including negotiating development orders and agreements, obtaining alcoholic beverage licenses and zoning, resolving permitting and development issues, and representing clients at governmental hearings.
- Represented financial institution in the management of 10,000,000 square feet of space in Florida and Georgia, including 770 banking centers, and personally handled the sale, purchase, leasing, construction, and management of banking centers, office buildings, operations centers, ATMs, and In-Store banking centers, including negotiating and preparing contracts, leases, third party leases and subleases, amendments, assignments, lease renewals, easements, restrictive covenants, license agreements, environmental access agreements, subordination, non-disturbance and attornment agreements and estoppels, and providing legal advice with respect to contract disputes, lease disputes, property management matters, Americans with Disabilities Act issues and litigation, condemnation, title and survey issues, and permitting, land use, zoning and environmental matters.
- From 2009-2015, successfully implemented and managed a nationwide program resulting in the disposition of over 650 owned banking centers, including reviewing title commitments, surveys and environmental reports, resolving title and survey issues, advising on environmental, land use and zoning matters, drafting and negotiating bid documents, auction contracts and purchase and sale agreements, and closing the transactions in Florida, Georgia and California.
- Represented property owners and developers in the acquisition and redevelopment of numerous properties for retail, office and multi-family residential and hotel uses, including drafting and negotiating contracts, operating agreements, reciprocal easement agreements, restrictive covenants and exclusive use agreements, utility agreements, condominium and development agreements, addressing title and survey issues, and advising on land use, zoning, platting, permitting and environmental issues.
- Represented sellers, developers, and purchasers of high-rise office buildings and building sites regarding land use and zoning, air rights, easements, and title and survey issues.
- Represented seller of 10-acre parcel for a mixed-use development of retail and multi-family residential regarding title and survey issues, reciprocal easements and restrictive covenants, access easement disputes with adjoining property owners, and permitting and platting issues.
- Represented client in the sale of a downtown Atlanta office tower for $436 million, including negotiating the purchase and sale agreement, the closing documents, and the client’s lease in the building.
- Represented national financial institution in the development of a multi-use commercial and residential condominium tower, including the sale of bank property and the acquisition of a commercial condominium unit.
- Represented financial institution in the sale and leaseback of multiple portfolios of buildings, including preparing and negotiating auction contracts and bid documents, purchase and sale agreements, leases, assignments of leases, and closing documents, and addressing title and survey objections and land use, zoning environmental issues.
- Represented clients in connection with real estate and asset sales, acquisitions and leasing, including conducting due diligence activities, title, and survey reviews and drafting and negotiating purchase and sale agreements, leases, development agreements, easements, and restrictive covenants.
- Drafted and negotiated documentation and provided legal counsel to developers and financial institutions with respect to financing, construction loans, loan workouts, forbearance agreements, renewals and modifications of notes and mortgages, and the sale and assignment of notes and mortgages.
Professional & Community Involvement
- CREW (Commercial Real Estate Women) Tampa Bay, Member
- NAIOP (National Association of Industrial and Office Parks) Tampa Bay Chapter, Member
- Real Estate Investment Council – Tampa Bay
- The Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Florida Association for Women Lawyers
- Hillsborough Association for Women Lawyers; Past Presidents’ Advisory Committee (2014-present), Mentoring and Scholarship Committees (1995-present), Board of Directors (1990-2004), President (1997-1998)
- AV Preeminent® Top Rated Lawyer, Martindale-Hubbell
New Faces at our Tampa Office
Stearns Weaver Miller Continues Expansion of Statewide Land Development, Zoning & Environmental Team
Stearns Weaver Miller Real Estate Shareholder Claire Bailey Carraway Rejoins Firm