Carlos J. Canino is a Shareholder in the Litigation Department. Carlos counsels public and private companies on a variety of complex legal issues and has represented businesses in litigation matters at the trial and appellate level. He has extensive experience managing and resolving multi-party business disputes involving cross-disciplinary teams of lawyers and experts. His litigation experience includes commercial contract and real estate disputes, business torts, securities, creditors’ rights matters, joint venture disputes, appraisal rights litigation, commercial landlord-tenant relations, trade secret litigation, aviation matters, and Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act litigation.
Carlos is a founding member of the Firm’s Latin America Practice Group and has advised clients from Latin America regarding U.S. matters, and guided U.S. clients in cross-border matters involving Latin America through local counsel in the region.
Prior to his legal career, he was an Army Captain and held a range of leadership positions across a wide array of aviation units located in the U.S. and Korea.
- Served as Florida counsel for Chipotle Mexican Grill in class action in both the District Court and the Eleventh Circuit. The plaintiff complained on behalf of herself and other Floridians, that Chipotle violated the Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act and was unjustly enriched by falsely advertising that it had eliminated genetically modified ingredients (known as “GMOs”) from its menu. The Eleventh Circuit issued a per curiam opinion affirming the District Court’s entry of summary judgment in favor of Chipotle. The Eleventh Circuit denied rehearing.
- Represented a publicly traded financial institution as Florida counsel with Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz, against federal securities and other claims arising from the collapse of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities. The district court granted a motion to dismiss with prejudice, in a decision that clarifies the limited scope of financial institutions’ liability for frauds perpetrated by customers. The Eleventh Circuit has affirmed the dismissal.
- Counsel to aviation components brokerage company and principal in defending breach of fiduciary duty claims brought by Brazilian judgment creditors of clients’ former business associate in proceedings supplementary action. Obtained dismissal of all claims on motion to dismiss.
- Member of defense trial team for a globally recognized provider of furnishings and related technologies and services in which a jury in federal district court returned a complete defense verdict. The plaintiff sought to recover $17 million in damages for breach of contract.
- Obtained plaintiff’s verdict on behalf of a U.S. air carrier in a state court breach of contract trial against an aviation maintenance facility and successfully defended counterclaim.
- Co-counsel in achieving dismissal in U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York of claims by the Securities Investor Protection Act Trustee against a foreign party. The claims arose out of the collapse of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities.
- Trial co-counsel for a publicly-traded, real estate development company in a multimillion-dollar, dissenting shareholder appraisal rights state court trial involving competing expert fair valuations.
- Trial counsel for a multifamily property developer in a state court trial of competing claims over commercial real estate on Miami Beach.
- Obtained a $19 million summary final judgment in federal court on a guaranty in favor of a national bank, leading to resolution of a pending fraudulent conveyance trial.
- Defended a $9 million foreclosure lawsuit by a commercial lender against an office condominium developer and negotiated a favorable settlement of the dispute.
- Represented a national media company in securing favorable settlement of landlord-tenant litigation involving a television broadcast tower.
LATAM Representative Experience:
- Safeguarded the financial and reputational interests of the Republic of Honduras by defeating an $11 million breach of contract lawsuit in U.S. federal court and prevailing on appeal to the Eleventh Circuit based on the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act.
- Achieved a favorable settlement for a Colombian technology products company of a dispute in U.S. federal court over the purchase of Chinese computer products from an Argentinean supplier.
- Represented a U. S. lumber exporter in Florida state court litigation and favorable settlement of a multimillion-dollar joint venture dispute involving the Caribbean lumber trade.
- Obtained dismissal in U.S. federal district court of Honduran land owners’ lawsuit against the Republic of Honduras over mineral rights.
- Co-counsel in favorable settlement for a Singapore-based multinational company with fishing operations in Peru of a multimillion-dollar shareholder dispute in U.S. federal court involving parties in Spain, Singapore, and Norway.
- Secured a six-figure judgment in a Florida state court for the Purchasing Agency of the Fuerza Aérea Colombiana against an Argentinean arms dealer.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Duke University's Fuqua School of Business Alumni Council
- Legal Services of Greater Miami Foundation, Inc., Vice-President, Board of Directors
- Dream In Green, Inc., Co-founder, Board Member
- Leadership Miami, 2005
- Legal Services of Greater Miami, 50 Voices Honoree, 2015
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyers in South Florida - Litigation, 2017-2018; Top Up and Comers- Litigation, 2015-2016
- Florida Trend’s "Florida Legal Elite" 2008 and 2011
- Florida Super Lawyers, "Rising Star", 2009
Publications & Presentations
Demystifying the Offshore World
Meritas Latin America & Caribbean Regional Meeting|November 2016
Latin America: Opportunities and Challenges in Global Careers
Weekend Executive MBA Program, Duke Fuqua School of Business|April 2016
Legal Legends vs. Young Guns Commercial Litigation Mock Trial
Dade County Bar Association|November 2012
5th Anniversary Celebration
Dream in Green|April 2011
Contributed to Major B. Harding, Judicial Decision-Making Analysis of Federalism Issues in Modern United States Supreme Court Maritime Cases
Tulane Law Review |January 2001
In the Media:
11th Circ. Won't Rethink Toss of Chipotle Patron's GMO Suit
In the Media:
11th Circ. Affirms JPMorgan's Win Over Madoff Investors
Stearns Weaver Miller Attorneys Recognized by South Florida Legal Guide 2016
Stearns Weaver Miller Attorneys Recognized by South Florida Legal Guide 2015
Stearns Weaver Miller Attorneys Garner Recognition in Prestigious Florida Trend Magazine