Alan Fein is a Shareholder in the Litigation Department and a member of the Firm's Board of Directors. For over three decades, Alan has successfully handled complex business litigation in South Florida and in the leading business courts in the nation, including the Delaware Court of Chancery, the Delaware Supreme Court, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York and the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second Circuit, Eleventh Circuit and the District of Columbia. At the same time, he has developed one of the region’s most vibrant sports law practices, and brought vision and leadership to a number of community leadership roles.
In particular, Alan focuses his practice on complex civil litigation, professional sports representation and litigation, defamation and libel law, corporate governance disputes, directors' and officers´ liability, accountant malpractice, architect malpractice and banking litigation.
Prior to joining Stearns Weaver Miller, Alan was Assistant to the White House Domestic Policy Staff, and Aide to the Special Assistant to President Carter for Government Reorganization. Alan also served as Legislative Assistant to the Speaker of the Florida House of Representatives. He has been a proud member and shareholder of Stearns Weaver Miller, joining the firm as its tenth lawyer in 1979, and helping guide the firm’s growth over the next decades.
- Represented the World Champion Miami Heat basketball team from its inception, including day-to-day advice and counsel, several cutting-edge litigation matters and the negotiation of some of the largest player contracts in the history of professional sports.
- Has advised sports franchises on issues regarding the building of new arenas and stadiums, additions of premium seating and promotional contracts.
- Has represented both venues and sponsors regarding some of the nations’ largest naming rights agreements for both sports and performing arts venues.
- Negotiated television and radio rights agreements on behalf of and involving professional sports teams.
- Successfully prosecuted professional negligence claims against arena architects.
- Successfully defended corporate investor in a major governance trial in Delaware Chancery Court, and on appeal in the Delaware Supreme Court.
- Successfully defended nationwide restaurant chain in major corporate valuation dispute in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York and the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Successfully represented the family of one of the world’s top ranked tennis professionals in an emancipation proceeding, allowing the player to enter into lucrative endorsement contracts while still a minor.
- Successfully represented world-class performing arts center in both major rights litigation and day-to-day operations.
- Tried one of the nation’s most important libel cases against a prime-time network news magazine.
- Co-counsel in one of the nation’s largest Dalkon Shield jury awards.
- Obtained dismissals of major securities fraud claims and successfully prosecuted a multi-million dollar securities fraud jury verdict.
- Successfully represented Presidential candidate and parties in complex and emergency voting rights cases.
- Advised and represented a parents’ group against the Board of Directors of a leading regional private school with regard to governance and integrity issues at the institution.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Miami-Dade County Cultural Affairs Council, Former Chair
- Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, Trust Executive Board, 2007-Present, and Chair-Elect, 2013-2015
- Key Biscayne Village Council, Elected member, 1998-2002; Key Biscayne Village Vision Committee, Vice-Chair, 2005-2006
- Arts & Business Council/Miami, Founding Chair
- City Theatre, Inc., Founding Chair
- Colony Theatre, Inc., Founding Chair
- Sport Alumni Chair, University of Pennsylvania Department of Intercollegiate Athletics
- Alumni Advisory Board Member, Wharton Sports Business Initiative
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business: Recognized Practitioner in Litigation, 2008-2010, 2016-2017
- Benchmark Litigation, selected as a Florida Litigation Star, 2010-2017
- The Best Lawyers in America®, selected for inclusion, 2003-2017
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyers in South Florida - Civil Litigation, selected for inclusion, 2006-2017
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Publications & Presentations
There’s No ‘I’ in Team: Sports Law with the Heat, Dolphins, and Panthers
Dade County Bar Association 2016 Bench & Bar Conference|February 2016
Arsht Center is building a community
Miami Herald|January 2016
Wharton Sports Innovation Conference
Wharton School of Finance and Commerce of the University of Pennsylvania|April 2011
Contributor, The Huffington Post
Contributor, The Miami Herald- Op Ed Page
American Bar Association|January 2000
19 Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers, 8 Practice Areas Ranked In Chambers USA 2017
Stearns Weaver Miller Receives Top Ranking in Benchmark Litigation 2017
17 Stearns Weaver Miller Lawyers, 7 Practice Areas Ranked In Chambers USA 2016
In the Media:
6 Theatre Workers You Should Know
American Theatre|March 2016
In the Media:
Arsht Center backers envision broad new plaza, parking garage as I-395 rebuilding looms
The Miami Herald|January 2016
Stearns Weaver Miller Attorneys Recognized by South Florida Legal Guide 2016
In the Media:
The Instigators: Alan Fein & Susi Westfall
Indulge Magazine|November 2015
Stearns Weaver Miller Attorneys Recognized in Benchmark Litigation 2016