Kara S. Nickel
Kara S. Nickel is a Shareholder in the Labor & Employment Department. She represents employers in employment litigation and administrative charges and complaints, and regularly counsels employers on employment-related issues. She represents private and public sector employers and has experience in a variety of industries, including healthcare, banking and financial institutions, hospitality, retail and insurance.
Kara defends and counsels public accommodations and government entities on accessibility of physical spaces, services and websites for individuals with disabilities, and the requirements for service animals. Kara has defended numerous accessibility lawsuits brought under Titles II and III of the Americans With Disabilities Act, and the Florida Civil Rights Act.
Kara is a frequent presenter and writer on topics including the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), cybervetting/electronic monitoring of employees and family responsibilities discrimination. She is also a regular contributor to the firm’s labor and employment law blog, BeLabor the Point.Representative Experience
- Defends employers in state and federal courts and before federal, state and local administrative agencies on retaliation, discrimination, wage and hour, FMLA, whistleblower, breach of contract and other claims.
- Counsels employers on the full-range of employment issues, including employee performance management, discipline and terminations, FMLA and leaves of absence, reasonable accommodations, internal investigations, and wage and hour compliance.
- Drafts employee handbooks and workplace policies and counsels employers regarding policy implementation.
- Drafts and negotiates employment, separation and restrictive covenant agreements for employees and executives.
- Defends and counsels public accommodations and government entities on accessibility of physical spaces, services and websites for individuals with disabilities, and the requirements for service animals. Has defended numerous accessibility lawsuits brought under Titles II and III of the Americans With Disabilities Act, and the Florida Civil Rights Act.
- Special Counsel to the City of Coral Gables, Florida, on compliance with accessibility and non-discrimination requirements under federal and state laws, including the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) and Title VI of the Civil Rights Act, in connection with services and programs offered to the public.
- Assistant City Attorney for employment matters, City of Doral, Florida (2010 to May 2013); served as the City’s in-house counsel for the full-range of employment issues for employees and employed law enforcement officers and for defense of administrative charges and complaints.
- Human Resources Association of Broward County (HRABC), Legislative Director, 2015 & 2016
- Academy of Florida Management Attorneys (AFMA), Associate Member
- The Florida Bar, Labor and Employment Section, Member
- Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM), Member
- American Bar Association: Equal Employment Opportunity Section (Equal Rights and Responsibilities Committee) and Young Lawyers Division, Member 2004-2012
- Volunteer, Saint Mark the Evangelist Catholic School, Southwest Ranches, Florida
- Florida Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2009-2015 (a distinction awarded to less than 2.5% of lawyers each year)
- Florida Trend’s Legal Elite , “Up and Coming Legal Elite” 2004, 2006
- University of Miami School of Law, Law Review
- University of Miami School of Law, Order of the Coif
- University of Miami, Phi Beta Kappa
150 West Flagler Street, Suite 2200
Miami, FL 33130