Glenn M. Rissman
Glenn Rissman is a Shareholder in the Labor & Employment Department. Glenn's practice focuses on employment law, immigration, and accessibility. Glenn regularly represents clients in a wide variety of matters arising under Title VII, Section 1981, ADA, ADEA, FMLA, WARN Act, FLSA, ERISA, and the Florida Civil Rights Act. He also advises employers regarding hiring, termination, and discipline of employees; compliance with federal, state, and local discrimination laws and wage and hour issues; sexual harassment matters; I-9 compliance and unauthorized employment; and mass layoffs and plant closings.
Glenn also practices in the area of employment-based immigration and naturalization. He represents employers and investors seeking temporary visas and permanent residence for employees and has successfully obtained non-immigrant visas (H-1B, L-1, TN, O, P, E) for employers in industries such as retail, hospitality, pharmaceutical, and manufacturing. Glenn also counsels clients regarding I-9 compliance, audits and inspections.
Glenn also defends and advises institutions on public accessibility for persons with disabilities. Glenn has defended dozens of public accessibility lawsuits brought under Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Glenn is a frequent speaker on employment issues and is a regular contributor to Belabor the Point, Stearns Weaver Miller’s award-winning labor & employment law blog.Representative Experience
- Obtained summary judgment (affirmed on appeal) for financial institution in age, disability and FMLA action with multi million dollar exposure.
- Obtained defense verdict for prominent retailer on national origin discrimination claim.
- Obtained defense verdict for national bank on public accessibility claims arising under federal and state law.
- Obtained L-1 blanket petition for Miami-based multinational to ease the transfer of overseas managers and executives.
- Obtained alien of extraordinary ability status for musicians, business people, IT personnel and a chef.
- Regularly conducts in-house training on I-9 compliance, sexual harassment and other topical issues impacting the workplace.
- Harid Conservatory of Music, Inc. – Member, Board of Trustees
- Spanish River Community High School Foundation – Member, Board of Directors
- Florida Trend's Florida Legal Elite, selected for inclusion, 2005-2006, 2008 and 2011
200 East Las Olas Boulevard
21st Floor (Penthouse A)
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301