Alan H. Fein
Alan Fein is a Shareholder in the Litigation Department and a member of the Firm's Board of Directors. For over three decades, Mr. Fein has successfully handled complex business litigation in South Florida and in the leading business courts in the nation, including the Delaware Court of Chancery, the Delaware Supreme Court, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York and the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second Circuit, Eleventh Circuit and the District of Columbia. At the same time, he has developed one of the region’s most vibrant sports law practices, and brought vision and leadership to a number of community leadership roles.
In particular, Mr. Fein focuses his practice on complex civil litigation, professional sports representation and litigation, defamation and libel law, corporate governance disputes, directors' and officers´ liability, accountant malpractice, architect malpractice and banking litigation.
Prior to joining Stearns Weaver Miller, Mr. Fein was Assistant to the White House Domestic Policy Staff, and Aide to the Special Assistant to President Carter for Government Reorganization. Mr. Fein also served as Legislative Assistant to the Speaker of the Florida House of Representatives. He has been a proud member and shareholder of Stearns Weaver Miller, joining the firm as its tenth lawyer in 1979, and helping guide the firm’s growth over the next decades.
- Represented the World Champion Miami Heat basketball team from its inception, including day-to-day advice and counsel, several cutting-edge litigation matters and the negotiation of some of the largest player contracts in the history of professional sports.
- Has advised sports franchises on issues regarding the building of new arenas and stadiums, additions of premium seating and promotional contracts.
- Has represented both venues and sponsors regarding some of the nations’ largest naming rights agreements for both sports and performing arts venues.
- Negotiated television and radio rights agreements on behalf of and involving professional sports teams.
- Successfully prosecuted professional negligence claims against arena architects.
- Successfully defended corporate investor in a major governance trial in Delaware Chancery Court, and on appeal in the Delaware Supreme Court.
- Successfully defended nationwide restaurant chain in major corporate valuation dispute in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York and the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Successfully represented the family of one of the world’s top ranked tennis professionals in an emancipation proceeding, allowing the player to enter into lucrative endorsement contracts while still a minor.
- Successfully represented world-class performing arts center in both major rights litigation and day-to-day operations.
- Tried one of the nation’s most important libel cases against a prime-time network news magazine.
- Co-counsel in one of the nation’s largest Dalkon Shield jury awards.
- Obtained dismissals of major securities fraud claims and successfully prosecuted a multi-million dollar securities fraud jury verdict.
- Successfully represented Presidential candidate and parties in complex and emergency voting rights cases.
- Advised and represented a parents’ group against the Board of Directors of a leading regional private school with regard to governance and integrity issues at the institution.
- Miami-Dade County Cultural Affairs Council, Former Chair
- Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, Trust Executive Board, 2007-Present, and Chair-Elect, 2013-2015
- Key Biscayne Village Council, Elected member, 1998-2002; Key Biscayne Village Vision Committee, Vice-Chair, 2005-2006
- Arts & Business Council/Miami, Founding Chair
- City Theatre, Inc., Founding Chair
- Colony Theatre, Inc., Founding Chair
- Sport Alumni Chair, University of Pennsylvania Department of Intercollegiate Athletics
- Alumni Advisory Board Member, Wharton Sports Business Initiative
- Martindale-Hubbell, Top-Rated Lawyers in Intellectual Property Law, 2013-2014
- Benchmark Litigation, selected as a Florida Litigation Star, 2010-2015
- South Florida Legal Guide - “Top Lawyers in South Florida,” selected for inclusion, 2006-2012
- South Florida Legal Guide - “Top Lawyers in Litigation-Civil,” selected for inclusion, 2010-2012
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business: selected for inclusion, in Litigation, 2008-2010
- Florida Super Lawyers, selected for inclusion, 2006-2011
- Florida Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition, selected for inclusion, 2010
- The Best Lawyers in America®, selected for inclusion, 2003-2015
- The Best Lawyers® Annual Guide to Commercial Litigation, selected for inclusion, 2009
150 West Flagler Street, Suite 2200
Miami, FL 33130